Drivers for network devices on new T520

Kevin Oberman

Jun 16, 2011, 12:05:22 PM6/16/11
Last week I received my new Lenovo T520 laptop and ran into immediate
issues.

First, the keyboard (ATKBD) causes the boot process on 8.2 to
fail. There is a fix, but it has not been included in 8-Stable, so
installing 8.0 and then upgrading while installing the required fix
would work. It did, but it means I have 8.0 and I quickly learned that
8.0 did not recognize either my wireless or wired network cards. This
makes upgrading a bit difficult. I'd expected issues with the wireless,
but I had no idea the wired Ethernet world be a problem.

I am hoping that I can get one of the existing drivers to work by adding
the appropriate PCI IDs, but I don't know if it will work or which
driver to try.

The output of 'pciconf -lv' shows:
none4@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x028000 card=0x819510ec chip=0x817610ec
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
class = network

and

none1@pci0:0:25:0: class=0x020000 card=0x21ce17aa chip=0x15028086
rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
class = network
subclass = ethernet

This was transcribed by hand, but I think it is accurate.

Do I have any hope? I can replace the wireless card, but the wired
Ethernet is of much greater concern.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

Kevin Oberman

Jun 16, 2011, 12:23:26 PM6/16/11
> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:05:22 -0700
> From: "Kevin Oberman" <obe...@es.net>
> Sender: owner-free...@freebsd.org

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just booted up Windows and see that
the wired interface is an Intel 82579LM and the wireless is listed as a
"1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter.

I am sorry I neglected looking at this before sending my last
message. I'll be surprised if the Intel wired Ethernet is not supported
by some driver in 8.0.

John Baldwin

Jun 16, 2011, 1:32:56 PM6/16/11

Hmmm, the Ethernet is going to be em or igb, but the problem is that
a new device ID might not be enough as often when new device IDs are
added to em/igb they come along with other changes to support stuff
specific to that device ID. Maybe try grabbing the sys/dev/e1000
directory from 8.2 and dropping that into your 8.0 tree? You could
also just grab a tarball of the 8.2 kernel tree and stick that on a
USB drive to copy it over to your laptop and then boot an 8.2 kernel
(with the keyboard fix).

--
John Baldwin

Kevin Oberman

Jun 16, 2011, 2:49:58 PM6/16/11
> From: John Baldwin <j...@freebsd.org>
> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 13:32:56 -0400

\me slaps head HARD.

This is the obvious solution. I spend all my time dealing with networks
and forget the days when floppies and the like were used for moving
stuff!

I'll try it as soon as I have time. I suspect that at least the will get
my wired working. The Realtek wireless may be another story. I suspect
I'll be looking for another card soon. :-(

Thanks for kicking my brain over to the right track!

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: obe...@es.net Phone: +1 510 486-8634
Last work day before retirement is Jun 17, 2011

Bernhard Schmidt

Jun 17, 2011, 4:29:03 AM6/17/11
On Thursday, June 16, 2011 18:05:22 Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Last week I received my new Lenovo T520 laptop and ran into immediate
> issues.
>
> First, the keyboard (ATKBD) causes the boot process on 8.2 to
> fail. There is a fix, but it has not been included in 8-Stable, so
> installing 8.0 and then upgrading while installing the required fix
> would work. It did, but it means I have 8.0 and I quickly learned that
> 8.0 did not recognize either my wireless or wired network cards. This
> makes upgrading a bit difficult. I'd expected issues with the wireless,
> but I had no idea the wired Ethernet world be a problem.
>
> I am hoping that I can get one of the existing drivers to work by adding
> the appropriate PCI IDs, but I don't know if it will work or which
> driver to try.
>
> The output of 'pciconf -lv' shows:
> none4@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x028000 card=0x819510ec chip=0x817610ec
> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
> vendor = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
> class = network

I haven't yet seen a driver for that one on any of the BSDs. I guess
that ndis(4) is the only solution currently available.