Acer Aspire 5672 laptop and FreeBSD 8.0-stable

Torfinn Ingolfsen

Jan 16, 2010, 3:26:15 PM1/16/10
This is just a FYI,

I have an Acer Aspire 5672 laptop[1], which mainly runs Xubuntu, because FreeBSD doesn't work very well on it. From time to time, I test it with FreeBSD to see if the situation has improved.
The results for FreeBSD 8.0-stable are now in[2].

What can I say?

The only way I can get network interfaces (bge, wpi) working is by disabling acpi. However, I can't run the laptop with acpi disabled for longer periods of time, because it will overheat.
If acpi is enabled, and I kldload if_wpi the machine panics (page fault).

In short, this particular laptop doesn't work very well with FreeBSD.

2) http://sites.google.com/site/tingox/aceraspireas5672andfreebsd
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen

Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

Alexander Motin

Jan 17, 2010, 2:38:36 AM1/17/10
Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> I have an Acer Aspire 5672 laptop[1], which mainly runs Xubuntu, because FreeBSD doesn't work very well on it. From time to time, I test it with FreeBSD to see if the situation has improved.
> The results for FreeBSD 8.0-stable are now in[2].
>
> What can I say?
>
> The only way I can get network interfaces (bge, wpi) working is by disabling acpi. However, I can't run the laptop with acpi disabled for longer periods of time, because it will overheat.
> If acpi is enabled, and I kldload if_wpi the machine panics (page fault).
>
> In short, this particular laptop doesn't work very well with FreeBSD.

> 2) http://sites.google.com/site/tingox/aceraspireas5672andfreebsd

As I can see, problem is the same as with mine TravelMate 6292. Enabling
ACPI clears resources on PCIe bridges:

pcib2: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> irq 17 at device 28.0 on pci0

pcib2: domain 0

pcib2: secondary bus 2

pcib2: subordinate bus 2

pcib2: I/O decode 0x0-0x0

pcib2: no prefetched decode

pcib3: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> irq 16 at device 28.1 on pci0

pcib3: domain 0

pcib3: secondary bus 3

pcib3: subordinate bus 3

pcib3: I/O decode 0x0-0x0

pcib3: no prefetched decode

pcib4: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> irq 18 at device 28.2 on pci0

pcib4: domain 0

pcib4: secondary bus 4

pcib4: subordinate bus 4

pcib4: I/O decode 0x0-0x0

pcib4: no prefetched decode

Fixing this require significant improvement of the PCI code, which
wasn't done yet. At this moment I am using machine-specific local hack
to set proper resources there (same as in non-ACPI mode) by hands:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/tm6292_pcie.patch

--
Alexander Motin

Torfinn Ingolfsen

Jan 17, 2010, 12:58:53 PM1/17/10
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:38:36 +0200
Alexander Motin <m...@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Fixing this require significant improvement of the PCI code, which
> wasn't done yet. At this moment I am using machine-specific local hack
> to set proper resources there (same as in non-ACPI mode) by hands:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/tm6292_pcie.patch

I tested this patch, and it makes this laptop work better. Thanks!
bge0 still doesn't attach for some reason, but wpi0 does, and it is usable now.

dmesg output on the info page:
http://sites.google.com/site/tingox/aceraspireas5672andfreebsd

--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen

Alexander Motin

Jan 18, 2010, 3:53:24 PM1/18/10
Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:38:36 +0200
> Alexander Motin <m...@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> Fixing this require significant improvement of the PCI code, which
>> wasn't done yet. At this moment I am using machine-specific local hack
>> to set proper resources there (same as in non-ACPI mode) by hands:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/tm6292_pcie.patch
>
> I tested this patch, and it makes this laptop work better. Thanks!
> bge0 still doesn't attach for some reason, but wpi0 does, and it is usable now.
>
> dmesg output on the info page:
> http://sites.google.com/site/tingox/aceraspireas5672andfreebsd

My patch was made exclusively for my TM6292. It may not fit your A5672.
You should boot in non-ACPI mode, copy resources of PCI bridges and
update patch using them. If you do it right, reported bridges resources
in ACPI and non-ACPI modes should be the same.

--
Alexander Motin

Torfinn Ingolfsen

Oct 8, 2010, 6:35:51 PM10/8/10
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 21:26:15 +0100
Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn....@broadpark.no> wrote:

> This is just a FYI,
>
> I have an Acer Aspire 5672 laptop[1], which mainly runs Xubuntu, because FreeBSD doesn't work very well on it. From time to time, I test it with FreeBSD to see if the situation has improved.
> The results for FreeBSD 8.0-stable are now in[2].

FYI: I have now tested this laptop with FreeBSD 8.1-release. The results are the same as with 8.0-stable: due to troubles with decoding PCIe bridges correctly (or somesuch) the network interfaces - wireless (wpi) and wired (bge) doesn't work. Patches to the pci code might help this, but I have not tested that yet.
As before, dmesg output are on the web page maentioned in the original post.

> What can I say?
>
> The only way I can get network interfaces (bge, wpi) working is by disabling acpi. However, I can't run the laptop with acpi disabled for longer periods of time, because it will overheat.
> If acpi is enabled, and I kldload if_wpi the machine panics (page fault).
>
> In short, this particular laptop doesn't work very well with FreeBSD.

> 2) http://sites.google.com/site/tingox/aceraspireas5672andfreebsd
> --
> Regards,
> Torfinn Ingolfsen

HTH

Torfinn Ingolfsen

Jul 15, 2011, 3:34:58 PM7/15/11
Update:
I have now tested this laptop[1] with FreeBSD 8.2-stable[2].
The results are the same as when it was tested with 8.0-stable.
It still needs patching of the PCIe code to get network interfaces to work.
I used a patch[3] made by Alexander Motin for a different machine, amd even if the seconfd hunk of the patch was rejected,
the wireless interface (wpi0) works.

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 21:26:15 +0100
Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn....@broadpark.no> wrote:

> This is just a FYI,
>
> I have an Acer Aspire 5672 laptop[1], which mainly runs Xubuntu, because FreeBSD doesn't work very well on it. From time to time, I test it with FreeBSD to see if the situation has improved.
> The results for FreeBSD 8.0-stable are now in[2].
>
> What can I say?
>
> The only way I can get network interfaces (bge, wpi) working is by disabling acpi. However, I can't run the laptop with acpi disabled for longer periods of time, because it will overheat.
> If acpi is enabled, and I kldload if_wpi the machine panics (page fault).
>
> In short, this particular laptop doesn't work very well with FreeBSD.

> 2) http://sites.google.com/site/tingox/aceraspireas5672andfreebsd
> --
> Regards,
> Torfinn Ingolfsen

3) http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/tm6292_pcie.patch

John Baldwin

Jul 15, 2011, 4:20:11 PM7/15/11
On Friday, July 15, 2011 3:34:58 pm Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Update:
> I have now tested this laptop[1] with FreeBSD 8.2-stable[2].
> The results are the same as when it was tested with 8.0-stable.
> It still needs patching of the PCIe code to get network interfaces to work.
> I used a patch[3] made by Alexander Motin for a different machine, amd even
if the seconfd hunk of the patch was rejected,
> the wireless interface (wpi0) works.

Please try adding 'options NEW_PCIB' to your kernel config on a recent 8-
stable instead. You should not need Alexander's patch in this case.

--
John Baldwin

Torfinn Ingolfsen

Jul 17, 2011, 7:21:01 AM7/17/11
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 16:20:11 -0400
John Baldwin <j...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Friday, July 15, 2011 3:34:58 pm Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> > Update:
> > I have now tested this laptop[1] with FreeBSD 8.2-stable[2].
> > The results are the same as when it was tested with 8.0-stable.
> > It still needs patching of the PCIe code to get network interfaces to work.
> > I used a patch[3] made by Alexander Motin for a different machine, amd even
> if the seconfd hunk of the patch was rejected,
> > the wireless interface (wpi0) works.
>
> Please try adding 'options NEW_PCIB' to your kernel config on a recent 8-
> stable instead. You should not need Alexander's patch in this case.

I did, and now it works. Nice, very nice! dmesg output here:
http://sites.google.com/site/tingox/aceraspireas5672andfreebsd

Thanks!
--
Torfinn