Teleommunications data retention / 2006/24/EG

Jon Otterholm

Feb 22, 2011, 8:30:12 AM2/22/11
As a member of EU, ISP's in Sweden are now force to comply with
2006/24/EG from 2011-07-01.

In short we have store information about our customers communication
with the rest of the world - and we are not happy being forced to do
this.

In Denmark ISP's have done this for a while and (as to my knowledge)
they are using Cisco Netflow to do this.

I am aware of ng-netflow and was wondering if anyone out there are using
this on their FreeBSD bases routers to comply with 2006/24/EG?

Are there anyone out there using FreeBSD routers successfully running a
solution that complies with 2006/24/EG?

//JO

Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

Dennis Yusupoff

Feb 22, 2011, 8:56:12 AM2/22/11
22.02.2011 16:30, Jon Otterholm пишет:

> Are there anyone out there using FreeBSD routers successfully running a
> solution that complies with 2006/24/EG?
I don't know is it that you wants, but there are a lot of ISP in Russia,
who use FreeBSD routers with netflow via ng_netflow, you could easily
find appropriate articles via www.yandex.ru, for example:
http://it.domnails.ru/?p=63
http://www.hilik.org.ua/setup-ng_netflow/

and so on. Translate.google.com helps you.

---
With best regards,
Dennis Yusupoff,
network engineer of
Smart-Telecom ISP
Russia, Saint-Petersburg

Rasmus Glud Andersen

Feb 23, 2011, 5:04:55 AM2/23/11
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 02:30:12PM +0100, Jon Otterholm wrote:

> In Denmark ISP's have done this for a while and (as to my knowledge)
> they are using Cisco Netflow to do this.

I might be worth the time to look at IPFIX [1] as an alternative, instead of Cisco Netflow.

--
Rasmus Glud Andersen

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Flow_Information_Export

Jon Otterholm

Feb 23, 2011, 11:31:39 AM2/23/11

23 feb 2011 kl. 11:15 skrev "Rasmus Glud Andersen" <ras...@aix.dk>:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 02:30:12PM +0100, Jon Otterholm wrote:
>
>> In Denmark ISP's have done this for a while and (as to my knowledge)
>> they are using Cisco Netflow to do this.
>
> I might be worth the time to look at IPFIX [1] as an alternative, instead of Cisco Netflow.
>
> --
> Rasmus Glud Andersen
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Flow_Information_Export

Interesting.

Are there any implementations of IPFIX for FreeBSD out there to generate/colect the flow-information?

//JO_______________________________________________

Michael Cardell Widerkrantz

May 15, 2011, 8:54:32 AM5/15/11
"Jon Otterholm" <jon.ot...@ide.resurscentrum.se>, 2011-02-22 14:30 (+0100):

> As a member of EU, ISP's in Sweden are now force to comply with
> 2006/24/EG from 2011-07-01.
>
> In short we have store information about our customers communication
> with the rest of the world - and we are not happy being forced to do
> this.
>
> In Denmark ISP's have done this for a while and (as to my knowledge)
> they are using Cisco Netflow to do this.

Denmarks implementation of the law is overkill compared to what the
directive actually says. The Swedish law doesn't require this.

I haven't looked into the final law text but I did an analysis of an
earlier text in my blog (in Swedish, I'm afraid):

http://hack.org/mc/blog/datalagringsdirektiv.html

In short, if you are a provider that falls under the LEK law

https://lagen.nu/2003:389

and are registered with the PTS as such a provider you are supposed to
store:

- Telephony:

+ Numbers and or IP addresses if it's IP telephony, but *only* if
it's bridged to POTS.
+ Registrated user.
+ Timestamp.
+ Endpoints.

and some extra stuff if it's a cell phone. Note that straight SIP to
SIP, Skype or any other IP-only telephony is not covered.

- Mail and SMS

+ Adresses.
+ Registrated user.
+ Timestamp.

- Internet connection (probably PPP/PPPoE/IP over cable, DHCP, et cetera)

+ IP addresses
+ Registrated user
+ Timestamps.
+ Endpoint addresses (things like switch port and used MAC address)

All this might already be covered by your ordinary logs. You might have
to store them longer to be compliant with the new law, but that's
probably the only thing you have to do. There's no need to use Netflow
or peek at the actual traffic, AFAIK.

Note, though, IANAL.

--
http://hack.org/mc/
Use plain text e-mail, please. OpenPGP welcome, 0xE4C92FA5.

Julian H. Stacey

May 17, 2011, 7:40:07 AM5/17/11
> > As a member of EU, ISP's in Sweden are now force to comply with
> > 2006/24/EG from 2011-07-01.

There's a German language thread on similar theme, so far its just
talked about what German government requires of Germans, but maybe
that German law is driven by EU directive, I don't know, not
directly involved, I sincerely hope.

I'll just give header & start & footer in case some may want to track it:

] Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 19:42:08 +0200
] From: Florian Streibelt <florian....@guug.de>
] To: "'sage'" <sa...@guug.de>
] Subject: [sage] Meldung bei der Bundesnetzagentur...
] <mailto:sage-r...@guug.de?subject=subscribe>
]
] Ich habe gerade die Auskunft von der Bundesnetzagentur, dass ich als
] (gewerblicher) Betreiber eines Mailservers dieses bei der Bundesnetzagentur
] anmelden muss... super!
] .... *wutschnaub*
] SAGE mailing list SA...@guug.de http://lists.guug.de/mailman/listinfo/sage

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
Mail plain text; Not quoted-printable, Not HTML, Not base 64.