FreeBSD Groupware Server

Odhiambo Washington

Apr 20, 2011, 3:59:47 PM4/20/11
Now, I have to revisit this subject after a year.

Anyone knows of a concoction of software that can make me achieve the
following with FreeBSD:

Email Server
• http, pop, smtp, and imap email access.
• Global Address List facility
• Personal Address List facility
• Distribution/Mailing list capabilities
• Personal and Group Scheduling through a calendar facility
• Anti-Spam and Anti-virus
• Stores Mail accounts and data in MySQL

... especially the 2nd and 3rd portions.

What is the best groupware, based on MySQL, that runs on FreeBSD in this
time and age? :)

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,

Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

Odhiambo Washington

Apr 20, 2011, 4:39:38 PM4/20/11
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 23:34, Freddie Cash <fjw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Odhiambo Washington
> <odhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Now, I have to revisit this subject after a year.
> >
> > Anyone knows of a concoction of software that can make me achieve the
> > following with FreeBSD:

> <snip>

> > What is the best groupware, based on MySQL, that runs on FreeBSD in this
> > time and age? :)
>

> Zimbra 6.0 open-source edition runs (unofficially) on FreeBSD, and does
> everything you want. :) There's even pre-compiled packages available for
> it.

Zimbra relies on OpenLDAP (and Postfix, right?). I am looking for a
MySQL-based solution.
That Postfix angle and OpenLDAP rules out Zimbra for me, unfortunately.

Freddie Cash

Apr 20, 2011, 4:42:59 PM4/20/11
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Odhiambo Washington <odhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 23:34, Freddie Cash <fjw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Odhiambo Washington
>> <odhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Now, I have to revisit this subject after a year.
>> >
>> > Anyone knows of a concoction of software that can make me achieve the
>> > following with FreeBSD:
>> <snip>

>> > What is the best groupware, based on MySQL, that runs on FreeBSD in this
>> > time and age? :)
>>
>> Zimbra 6.0 open-source edition runs (unofficially) on FreeBSD, and does
>> everything you want.  :)  There's even pre-compiled packages available for
>> it.
>>
> Zimbra relies on OpenLDAP (and Postfix, right?). I am looking for a
> MySQL-based solution.
> That Postfix angle and OpenLDAP rules out Zimbra for me, unfortunately.

Zimbra does everything internally. Think of it like a "black box", in
that everything it needs, it installs, runs, and manages internally.

Yes, it uses Postfix, Cyrus IMAP, OpenLDAP, MySQL, SpamAssassin,
DSpam, Amavisd-new, etc, etc, etc ... but none of that is exposed to
the admin. You just use the Zimbra admin console, and it takes care
of everything.

--
Freddie Cash
fjw...@gmail.com

khat...@socllc.net

Apr 20, 2011, 4:36:12 PM4/20/11

I hate recommending control panels but I would say you could do this easily with cPanel all in one install (The control panel with facilitate the installation of all services). Your other options would be Zimbra which has a port now, I believe ([http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Building_GNR_on_FreeBSD_8] http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Building_GNR_on_FreeBSD_8).

Open X-Change will work on FreeBSD as well: [http://homepage.univie.ac.at/peter.schober/OX_on_FreeBSD.html] http://homepage.univie.ac.at/peter.schober/OX_on_FreeBSD.html

Best of luck

-Kevin

Freddie Cash

Apr 20, 2011, 4:34:18 PM4/20/11
<odhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now, I have to revisit this subject after a year.
>
> Anyone knows of a concoction of software that can make me achieve the
> following with FreeBSD:
<snip>

> What is the best groupware, based on MySQL, that runs on FreeBSD in this
> time and age? :)

Zimbra 6.0 open-source edition runs (unofficially) on FreeBSD, and

does everything you want. :) There's even pre-compiled packages
available for it.

--
Freddie Cash
fjw...@gmail.com

Albert Shih

Apr 20, 2011, 4:53:40 PM4/20/11
Le 20/04/2011 à 13:42:59-0700, Freddie Cash a écrit

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Odhiambo Washington <odhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 23:34, Freddie Cash <fjw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> <snip>

> >> Zimbra 6.0 open-source edition runs (unofficially) on FreeBSD, and does
> >> everything you want.  :)  There's even pre-compiled packages available for
> >> it.
> >>
> > Zimbra relies on OpenLDAP (and Postfix, right?). I am looking for a
> > MySQL-based solution.
> > That Postfix angle and OpenLDAP rules out Zimbra for me, unfortunately.
>
> Zimbra does everything internally. Think of it like a "black box", in
> that everything it needs, it installs, runs, and manages internally.
>
> Yes, it uses Postfix, Cyrus IMAP, OpenLDAP, MySQL, SpamAssassin,
> DSpam, Amavisd-new, etc, etc, etc ... but none of that is exposed to

Patcheds versions

and actually Zimbra = vmware, and FreeBSD is not supported.
That's mean you going to suffer to make it's work.

Don't forget the "pro" version work only on linux.

Regards.

--
Albert SHIH
DIO batiment 15

Martin Solčiansky

Apr 20, 2011, 6:07:46 PM4/20/11

there is no suffering involved concerning installation and the packages work straight-away. but yes, it is not supported and yes (imho), zimbra is the best opensource package out there so the real question is, sadly: "do I really want to run FreeBSD?"
i know, i do.

s.

TJ Varghese

Apr 20, 2011, 8:44:39 PM4/20/11
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:59 AM, Odhiambo Washington <odhi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Now, I have to revisit this subject after a year.
>
> Anyone knows of a concoction of software that can make me achieve the
> following with FreeBSD:
>
> Email Server
> • http, pop, smtp, and imap email access.
> • Global Address List facility
> • Personal Address List facility
> • Distribution/Mailing list capabilities
> • Personal and Group Scheduling through a calendar facility
> • Anti-Spam and Anti-virus
> • Stores Mail accounts and data in MySQL
>
> ... especially the 2nd and 3rd portions.
>
> What is the best groupware, based on MySQL, that runs on FreeBSD in this
> time and age? :)

I've found Groupoffice Community edition reasonable competent with a rather
good looking UI. You'll need an SMTP & IMAP server set up separately.

/usr/ports/ww/groupoffice

Ports have a rather old version of GO, but you could install it just to get
the most of the dependencies taken care of, then just download the latest
version from http://sourceforge.net/projects/group-office/ and install
whatever dependencies are missing.

That said, FreeBSD isn't officially supported, so some things do take some
tweaking. I recall also that it prefers Postfix...I was using sendmail and
the vacation autoresponder was disabled.

Odhiambo Washington

Apr 22, 2011, 2:55:10 AM4/22/11

I will take a look at this as it seems more promising. I can do all the
MTA/IMAP/POP3 bits using Exim and Dovecot.
What I am mostly interested in are the following features:

Global Address List facility, Personal Address List facility, Personal and

Group Scheduling through a calendar facility

Let me see ...

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254733744121/+254722743223

Odhiambo Washington

Apr 22, 2011, 6:28:26 AM4/22/11
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 03:44, TJ Varghese <t...@tjvarghese.com> wrote:

UPDATE:

Installation from source was such a breeze. I only encountered a small error
when the SQL tables were being populated, because I am running MySQL 5.5.8
which required ENGINE=MyISAM instead of TYPE=MyISAM.
Now I just need to see if I get the features I need.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254733744121/+254722743223

Odhiambo Washington

Apr 23, 2011, 1:07:02 AM4/23/11
Mohamed,

Where is the groupware function in what you posted? Perhaps you did not
understand the question in the first place?
Take a second read at the question, and see if you understand it better
now:)