Routing on NT 4.0

Amin Tora

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

** High Priority **

Greetings,

I have an issue with routing TCP/IP on a Windows NT 4.0 box.

Hardware:
Pentium 200 /w 132mb RAM
3COM PCI FDDI NIC (Dual Attach)
3COM PCI 100bt NIC

Running Windows NT 4.0 /w Service Pack 3.
Before installing the firewall software, I wanted to make sure that the NT
box was routing correctly before installation.

I have a clean installation of Windows NT 4.0 with Service pack 3. There
are two buildings connected via FDDI. The NT box is located in Building
B. The FDDI connection comes into the 3COM FDDI NIC from Building A.
There is a 100bt connection from the 3COM 100bt NIC to the internal
(private) hub in Building B.

The FDDI NIC has 165.83.130.29 as its IP address. The subnet mask is
255.255.254.0.

The 3COM 100BT has 165.83.131.64 as its IP address. The subnet mask
is 255.255.254.0.

The subnet behind the 3COM 100BT nic has an address range from
165.83.131.[64-92] subnet mask 255.255.254.0.

There is a router behind the FDDI NIC in Building B with address
165.83.130.1 This is set as the default gateway for the FDDI NIC.

The "Enable IP Forwarding" is checked under the Routing tab in TCP/IP
properties.

I have not added nor deleted anything in the routing table. I have verified
the FDDI connection - there is nothing wrong with the connection.

From a workstation in Building B [behind the 3COM 100bt nic] I am able to
ping the 3COM 100BT NIC [165.83.131.64]. However I am not able to ping
the FDDI NIC [165.83.130.29].

From the Firewall itself, I am able to ping the router over the FDDI
connection [165.83.130.1]. I am also able to ping an internal machine
behind the 3COM 100BT NIC [.. 165.83.131.65].

Am I missing something?.. because I still can not get past the 3COM 100bt
card from within Building B [behind the 3com 100bt nic].

I would appreciate any suggestions.... tks.