acroread and anti-aliased text

1 view

Alan Shutko

Dec 10, 2002, 11:58:44 AM12/10/02
Brian Stults <bst...@soc.ufl.edu> writes:

> Then I convert it to a pdf using ps2pdf.

What version of ghostscript are you using? Could you put up a small
sample some where?

It sounds as if the fonts are getting converted to type 3 fonts,
which acroread doesn't display very well.

--
Alan Shutko <a...@acm.org> - In a variety of flavors!
Is throwing a cat out a window considered kitty litter?

Brian Stults

Dec 10, 2002, 12:57:04 PM12/10/02
Alan Shutko wrote:
> Brian Stults <bst...@soc.ufl.edu> writes:
>

>>Then I convert it to a pdf using ps2pdf.
>

> What version of ghostscript are you using? Could you put up a small
> sample some where?
>
> It sounds as if the fonts are getting converted to type 3 fonts,
> which acroread doesn't display very well.

I'm using gs 7.05. Some examples of what I described are here:

http://grove.ufl.edu/~bstults/sample.html

Thanks!

--
Brian J. Stults Department of Sociology
phone: (352) 392-0265 x286 University of Florida

Alan Shutko

Dec 10, 2002, 1:30:53 PM12/10/02
Brian Stults <bst...@soc.ufl.edu> writes:

> I'm using gs 7.05. Some examples of what I described are here:

The problem is definitely that the fonts were converted to type 3
(you can see by going to File->Document Properties->Fonts).

Why this happened, I'm not sure. It looks from the OO PS output that
it's converting a TTF to Postscript, which is a bad move for
converting to PDF. (It's good for PS, since old PS printers might
now support type 42 fonts, which are just TTF fonts in a PS wrapper.)

Your best bet would be to avoid TTF fonts for now, until/unless OO
gets better handling.

--
Alan Shutko <a...@acm.org> - In a variety of flavors!

"We don't need no moderation."

Tom Badran

Dec 10, 2002, 4:39:45 PM12/10/02
On Tuesday 10 Dec 2002 4:36 pm, Brian Stults wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I generate pdf's and view them in acroread (5.0.5) the fonts are
> very fuzzy. For example... I create a file in OpenOffice using the
> Arial font which is anti-aliased. I then print it to a postscript file.
> If I view it through gv, it looks just as fuzzy at first, but then I
> choose to antialias it, and it looks great. Then I convert it to a pdf
> using ps2pdf. When I view it in gv, it still looks great. When I view
> it in acroread, it looks very fuzzy. Even when I view it in acroread
> under MS Windows, it looks very bad.

This problem is to do with openoffice's printer font replacement.

To fix it, run oopadmin, click on the properties buttin for your printer, and
make sure you have "enable font replacement" turned on, and there should be
about 8 replacements including "Arial -> Helvetica" and "Times New Roman ->
Times". If you turn this off, your pdfs will be very poor quality under
anything but ghostscript viewers (gv, ggv, kghostview etc).

Hope this helps

Tom

Qian Gong

Dec 10, 2002, 4:56:45 PM12/10/02
On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:52:04PM -0500, Brian Stults wrote:

> http://grove.ufl.edu/~bstults/sample.html

Xpdf support type 3 fonts.

Gary Turner

Dec 10, 2002, 6:26:55 PM12/10/02
Alan Shutko wrote:

>Brian Stults <bst...@soc.ufl.edu> writes:
>
>> I'm using gs 7.05. Some examples of what I described are here:
>
>The problem is definitely that the fonts were converted to type 3
>(you can see by going to File->Document Properties->Fonts).
>
>Why this happened, I'm not sure. It looks from the OO PS output that
>it's converting a TTF to Postscript, which is a bad move for

>converting to PDF.[...]

>Your best bet would be to avoid TTF fonts for now, until/unless OO
>gets better handling.

Not sure that's the only cause. Documents created by LaTeX and
converted to PDF have the same problem. They look great in gv and xpdf,
and look like crap in Acrobat (in Win). The PDF docs print nicely from
either platform.

Is it perhaps more related to gs? My ignorance of fonts is legendary,
so where do we go from here?

--
gt kk...@sbcglobal.net
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---

Alan Shutko

Dec 10, 2002, 7:15:25 PM12/10/02
Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Not sure that's the only cause. Documents created by LaTeX and
> converted to PDF have the same problem.

True, but the problem with (naively created) TeX documents is that
dvips traditionally puts bitmapped fonts into its ps files (as PS Type
3 fonts). That causes a double problem, as Acroread can't display
Type 3 fonts as well as Type 1, and it certainly doesn't like
bitmaps. (This shouldn't be a problem nowadays, since Type 1
versions of the Computer Modern fonts have been included with TeX
distributions for a while.)

In the sample PS file given here, it looks like the fonts were
converted from TTF to PS type 3 fonts, _before_ it's ever been touched
by ghostscript. If that's the case, there's nothing GS could do to
make it better.

There is a problem in older versions of ghostscript (GS < 6.0) where
any included PS Type 1 font was converted into a Type 3 font in the
PDF. But that's not the problem here.

--
Alan Shutko <a...@acm.org> - In a variety of flavors!

Final Frontier...these are the voyages...

Gary Turner

Dec 10, 2002, 10:04:47 PM12/10/02
Alan Shutko wrote:

>Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> Not sure that's the only cause. Documents created by LaTeX and
>> converted to PDF have the same problem.
>
>True, but the problem with (naively created) TeX documents is that
>dvips traditionally puts bitmapped fonts into its ps files (as PS Type
>3 fonts).

Certainly a naif here. What is the more sophisticated approach?

> That causes a double problem, as Acroread can't display
>Type 3 fonts as well as Type 1, and it certainly doesn't like
>bitmaps.

It sure doesn't like something ;)

>(This shouldn't be a problem nowadays, since Type 1
>versions of the Computer Modern fonts have been included with TeX
>distributions for a while.)

How do I get these fonts and/or how do I get TeX to use them instead of
type 3/bitmap?

<snip>

Tnx,

--
gt kk...@sbcglobal.net
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---
it's what you do know that ain't so.--unk

Eric G. Miller

Dec 10, 2002, 11:10:06 PM12/10/02
On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 08:59:43PM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> Alan Shutko wrote:
>
> >Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net> writes:
> >
> >> Not sure that's the only cause. Documents created by LaTeX and
> >> converted to PDF have the same problem.
> >
> >True, but the problem with (naively created) TeX documents is that
> >dvips traditionally puts bitmapped fonts into its ps files (as PS Type
> >3 fonts).
>
> Certainly a naif here. What is the more sophisticated approach?

I've had good luck with dvipdfm. Understands hyperref, no messy
conversions of eps files (use graphicx), no pdflatex headaches...

--
"...the plural of anecdote is [not?] data." - attrib. to George Stigler

Gary Turner

Dec 11, 2002, 12:30:47 AM12/11/02
Eric G. Miller wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 08:59:43PM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
>> Alan Shutko wrote:
>>
>> >Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

<snip>

>> >True, but the problem with (naively created) TeX documents is that
>> >dvips traditionally puts bitmapped fonts into its ps files (as PS Type
>> >3 fonts).
>>
>> Certainly a naif here. What is the more sophisticated approach?
>
>I've had good luck with dvipdfm. Understands hyperref, no messy
>conversions of eps files (use graphicx), no pdflatex headaches...

Looking at the man page on this is encouraging. It does, however, throw
a spotlight onto my vast ignorance. Can you suggest a default set of
arguments for the '-f' option? (the equivalent of Computer Modern?) If
I read the man right, this option should do the job of putting some
type1 fonts into the pdf file.

Tnx,
--
gt kk...@sbcglobal.net
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---
it's what you do know that ain't so.--unk

martin f krafft

Dec 12, 2002, 11:20:21 AM12/12/02

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

also sprach Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net> [2002.12.10.2351 +0100]:

> Not sure that's the only cause. Documents created by LaTeX and
> converted to PDF have the same problem. They look great in gv and xpdf,
> and look like crap in Acrobat (in Win). The PDF docs print nicely from
> either platform.

you can do something like

\usepackage{times}

to make TeX and dvips use other fonts that then display nicely in
acroread.

--=20
Please do not CC me! Get a proper mailer instead: www.mutt.org
=20
.''`. martin f. krafft <mad...@debian.org>
: :' : proud Debian developer, admin, and user
`. `'`
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing a system
=20
NOTE: The public PGP keyservers are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j--

Gary Turner

Dec 12, 2002, 5:07:03 PM12/12/02
martin f krafft wrote:

>also sprach Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net> [2002.12.10.2351 +0100]:
>> Not sure that's the only cause. Documents created by LaTeX and
>> converted to PDF have the same problem. They look great in gv and xpdf,
>> and look like crap in Acrobat (in Win). The PDF docs print nicely from
>> either platform.
>
>you can do something like
>
> \usepackage{times}

Danke. I got an error: File 'times.sty' not found. So, I went to
ctan.org and got the file. Where does it go? I tried
/usr/share/tex/latex/base/, but that didn't work. I'm afraid I don't
know enough about LaTeX to go beyond appliance user without guidance.
--
gt kk...@sbcglobal.net
If someone tells you---

Nori Heikkinen

Dec 12, 2002, 6:18:24 PM12/12/02

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

on Thu, 12 Dec 2002 04:05:19PM -0600, Gary Turner insinuated:

> martin f krafft wrote:
> >also sprach Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net> [2002.12.10.2351 +0100]:
> >> Not sure that's the only cause. Documents created by LaTeX and
> >> converted to PDF have the same problem. They look great in gv
> >> and xpdf, and look like crap in Acrobat (in Win). The PDF docs
> >> print nicely from either platform.
> >
> >you can do something like
> >
> > \usepackage{times}

>=20

> Danke. I got an error: File 'times.sty' not found. So, I went to
> ctan.org and got the file. Where does it go? I tried
> /usr/share/tex/latex/base/, but that didn't work. I'm afraid I
> don't know enough about LaTeX to go beyond appliance user without
> guidance.

i have it in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/

as a related question, where should .sty files go in geneeral? i tend
to put them in my working directory, which is a hack, i know ...

</nori>

--=20
.~. nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu=20
/V\ http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/
// \\ @ maenad.net
/( )\ www.maenad.net
^`~'^

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5--

martin f krafft

Dec 13, 2002, 4:35:23 AM12/13/02

--9Ek0hoCL9XbhcSqy

also sprach Nori Heikkinen <no...@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.12.13.0001 +010=
0]:

> as a related question, where should .sty files go in geneeral?

grep HOMETEXMF /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf

then create that directory, and ./tex/latex/whatever underneath. make
your own hierarchy, however you like it. lastly, run `mktexlsr` to
create the index and off you go.

if to be installed on a per-system basis, then the same unde4r
/usr/local. check the /etc texmf file...

> to put them in my working directory, which is a hack, i know ...

perfectly legit, but it won't let you use them outside the current
project. `pwd` is part of the TEXMF search path.

--=20
Please do not CC me! Get a proper mailer instead: www.mutt.org
=20
.''`. martin f. krafft <mad...@debian.org>
: :' : proud Debian developer, admin, and user
`. `'`
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing a system
=20
NOTE: The public PGP keyservers are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc

--9Ek0hoCL9XbhcSqy

--9Ek0hoCL9XbhcSqy--