mu4e-headers-skip-duplicates and the read mark

8 צפיות
מעבר להודעה הראשונה שלא נקראה

Tassilo Horn

לא נקראה,
3 ביוני 2022, 3:55:023.6.2022
עד mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've set mu4e-headers-skip-duplicates to t so when someone replies to a
mail of mine on a mailinglist with the list in the To and a Cc to
myself, I'll just see one of those mails in my unread bookmark headers
view.

(BTW, is there a way to influence which mail is suppressed? One mail
will reside in my INBOX maildir and the other in some
mailinglists/whatever maildir. I'd prefer to see the one in my inbox
which seems to be the case but might as well be pure luck and obviously
others might prefer it the other way round.)

Anyway: while this feature is nice in general, it has the problem that
when I read the mail, its duplicate won't be mark as read. So the
following situation happens quite often to me:

1. I see I have 2 unread mails.
2. I enter the unread bookmark and get presented just one mail which I
read.
3. I exit the headers view and see that I have 1 unread mail.
4. I enter the unread bookmark and get presented the basically same
mail, i.e., the duplicate of the one I've read in step 2.

Is there any cure for this? Basically, I'd like the read mark to be
propagated to all duplicates. Is that possible?

And to make that clear, I only want the read mark propagated, not
flagging, moving, deletion, etc.

Bye,
Tassilo

Yuri D'Elia

לא נקראה,
3 ביוני 2022, 5:58:553.6.2022
עד mu-di...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 03 2022, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Anyway: while this feature is nice in general, it has the problem that
> when I read the mail, its duplicate won't be mark as read. So the
> following situation happens quite often to me:
<snip>
> Is there any cure for this? Basically, I'd like the read mark to be
> propagated to all duplicates. Is that possible?
>
> And to make that clear, I only want the read mark propagated, not
> flagging, moving, deletion, etc.

I'm very familiar with this behavior.

One good example of a similar side effect is to send an email to
yourself: there are two copies, the sent email and the received are
marked as duplicated. When you attempt to delete, only one is removed.

I kind of agree on both.. when operating on the mail (flagging, moving,
deleting), doing that for all duplicate messages it might operate on the
wrong one sot the current behavior seems logical (although not always
exactly wanted..)

But marking as read all duplicates makes a lot of sense to me.
השב לכולם
השב למחבר
העבר לנמענים
0 הודעות חדשות