How to read this group via emacs mu4e/isync?

Daniel

Sep 5, 2021, 2:09:26 PM9/5/21
to mu-discuss
Hello,

I'm new to mu4e, and I just figured out how to set up my gmail account with isync and mu4e.

Now, I want to access to a news group like this group, mu-discuss, in emacs or using mu4e.

1. Would it be possible?
2. If then, is there an instruction how to set it up?

Thanks,
Daniel

Arne Köhn

Sep 5, 2021, 2:58:29 PM9/5/21
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com, Daniel

Daniel writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to mu4e, and I just figured out how to set up my gmail account with
> isync and mu4e.
>
> Now, I want to access to a news group like this group, mu-discuss, in emacs
> or using mu4e.

Treat this just as any other mailing list. You can subscribe here:

https://groups.google.com/group/mu-discuss/subscribe

or via mail:

mailto:mu-discuss...@googlegroups.com>

and then you read everything just like other mails.

Best
Arne

Daniel

Sep 6, 2021, 2:41:00 AM9/6/21
to mu-discuss
Thank you, Arne.

If then, it will come through my personal mail's inbox, right? I don't want it to be flooded too much for this.

Is there a way to set up news group only in separate?

One thing I can think about is to filter this mail group to a specific folder and let mu4e setup for the folder. However, I'd like to find a passive way to access the news group/discuss group using emacs. I don't want to download all the discussions in my mailbox.

Arne Köhn

Sep 6, 2021, 8:25:03 AM9/6/21

Daniel writes:

> If then, it will come through my personal mail's inbox, right?

Yes, this is a mailing list. You receive mails.

> One thing I can think about is to filter this mail group to a specific
> folder and let mu4e setup for the folder.

you can file mailing list mails in their own directory and/or modify
your views to hide/show these mails. That said, the traffic especially
on this list is pretty low – and the whole point of mu4e is to read
mails :-)

> However, I'd like to find a passive way to access the news
> group/discuss group using emacs.

You can use eww to browse the web interface of the google group?

> I don't want to download all the discussions in my mailbox.

Especially this ML is pretty low traffic. I would be surprised if it
was more than 1mb/y.

My suggestion would be to find a way to be comfortable with (larger
amounts of) emails, e.g. by creating a workflow that fits you, and then
subscribing to mailing lists is not a problem.