natharari@gmail.com

Nathaniel Harari

Jul 9, 2022, 4:23:48 AM7/9/22
to mu-discuss
Does anyone know how to put a new line *before* a signature?

IE:

My email body
                          <-- Notice the new line before the --- below
---
My signature

I have to do it manually each time and it gets a bit tiresome.

Also, does anyone know how to insert my signature after my reply, but before the reply contents?

I apologize in advance for the newbie questions.

Husain Alshehhi

Jul 9, 2022, 11:59:25 PM7/9/22
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com, Nathaniel Harari
On Sat 09 Jul 2022 at 01:23, "Nathaniel Harari" <nath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to put a new line *before* a signature?
>
> IE:
>
> My email body
> <-- Notice the new line before the --- below
> ---
> My signature
>
> I have to do it manually each time and it gets a bit tiresome.
>
> Also, does anyone know how to insert my signature after my reply, but before the reply contents?

Have you looked into message-signature-insert-empty-line?

From help:

message-signature-insert-empty-line is a variable defined in ‘message.el’.

Its value is t

If non-nil, insert an empty line before the signature separator.

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 22.1 of Emacs.
You can customize this variable.

Nathaniel Harari

Jul 10, 2022, 1:34:35 AM7/10/22
to mu-discuss
Thank you!
I'm trying it now, but it doesn't seem to insert an empty line when composing a new email, just when replying to one. But at least it's halfway there.
Also, would you happen to know how to insert my signature before the replied text with the >> ?

Magnus Therning

Jul 10, 2022, 7:28:04 AM7/10/22
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Nathaniel Harari <nath...@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you!
>
> I'm trying it now, but it doesn't seem to insert an empty line
> when composing a new email, just when replying to one.
> But at least it's halfway there.
> Also, would you happen to know how to insert my signature before
> the replied text with the >> ?

I have the following in my config to insert the output from a
command

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(add-hook 'mu4e-compose-pre-hook
(lambda ()
(let ((cmd-string (concat "~/bin/create-sig mail "
(mu4e-context-name
(mu4e-context-current)))))
(setq mu4e-compose-signature
(shell-command-to-string cmd-string)))))
#+end_src
--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: mag...@therning.org

— Pablo Picasso
signature.asc
Message has been deleted

Husain Alshehhi

Jul 10, 2022, 8:19:58 PM7/10/22
On Sat 09 Jul 2022 at 22:34, "Nathaniel Harari" <nath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> but it doesn't seem to insert an empty line when composing a new email, just when replying to one.

Interesting. Not sure why. Consider reporting this to emacs (M-x gnus-bug). Seems like a bug to me.

> Also, would you happen to know how to insert my signature before the replied text with the >> ?

I think emacs does bottom posting by default. Consider changing the value of message-cite-reply-position to above. The docs:

,----
| message-cite-reply-position is a variable defined in ‘message.el’.
|
| Its value is ‘below’
| Original value was ‘traditional’
|
| Where the reply should be positioned.
| If ‘traditional’, reply inline.
| If ‘above’, reply above quoted text.
| If ‘below’, reply below quoted text.
|
| Note: Many newsgroups frown upon nontraditional reply styles.
| You probably want to set this variable only for specific groups,
| e.g. using ‘gnus-posting-styles’:
|
| (eval (setq-local message-cite-reply-position 'above))
`----

Also, you might want to checkout the variable message-cite-style (and some pre-configured values in the form message-cite-style-*).

Nathaniel Harari

Jul 13, 2022, 2:33:03 AM7/13/22
to mu-discuss
Thank you! Since you say it's frowned upon sometimes, I'll leave it as it is. I'll take your word for it because I haven't really used newsgroups since about 20 years.

Husain Alshehhi

Jul 13, 2022, 9:53:41 PM7/13/22

On Tue 12 Jul 2022 at 23:33, "Nathaniel Harari" <nath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you! Since you say it's frowned upon sometimes, I'll leave it as it is. I'll take your word for it because I haven't really used newsgroups since
> about 20 years.

That's just what the doc says, not me. This seems like a preference with
pros and cons to each approach.