Can't download/save images attached to a message

Daniel Guinea

Jul 15, 2021, 10:44:56 AM7/15/21
to mu-discuss
Hello everyone,

Using mu4e - mu for emacs version 1.5.13 I can't save or do anything on images attached to a message even though I can see the images and I can see the <a> flag for "attachment" in the messages's header.

Typing <e> returns <No attached files found>.

Thanks for your help!

Daniel

Daniel Guinea

Jul 16, 2021, 4:56:57 AM7/16/21
to mu-discuss
I've just realized that typing <e> is unresponsive to any sort of attachments since I rebuilt Emacs from source to its latest stable version "27.2.50".

In an attempt to solve the problem, I've uninstalled and reinstalled <mu> (version 1.5.13), to no avail.

Daniel Guinea

Jul 16, 2021, 5:01:24 AM7/16/21
to mu-discuss
sorry, by <e> I mean the function <mu4e-view-save-attachments>... For some reason it's stopped recognizing legit attachments to emails since my rebuilt of Emacs

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Jul 16, 2021, 6:10:30 PM7/16/21
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Friday Jul 16 2021, Daniel Guinea wrote:

> sorry, by <e> I mean the function <mu4e-view-save-attachments>... For some
> reason it's stopped recognizing legit attachments to emails since my
> rebuilt of Emacs
>
> On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 10:56:57 AM UTC+2 Daniel Guinea wrote:
>
>> I've just realized that typing <e> is unresponsive to any sort of
>> attachments since I rebuilt Emacs from source to its latest stable version
>> "27.2.50".
>>
>> In an attempt to solve the problem, I've uninstalled and reinstalled <mu>
>> (version 1.5.13), to no avail.

mu4e now (in the 1.5.x dev series) uses the gnus-based viewer by
default, so things can be a little different. See `mu4e-view-use-old'
for the old view.

Anyway, <e> might not give you attachments... since technically, there
might not be any (they're 'inline', not 'attachment'). But, you can use
'A' (action on MIME-part), or click the MIME part in the headers area
(mouse or keyboard).

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Daniel Guinea

Jul 17, 2021, 6:47:19 AM7/17/21
to mu-discuss
Thank you very much for your response, Dirk. <A> works always indeed.

I don't get though why <e> doesn't work on the attachment of a given email, but if I forward it to another account then it does work... I guess the original troublesome email has the attachment 'inline' and, after forwarding it, the attachment becomes an non-inline attachment that <e> that act upon.

Thanks so much again!

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Jul 17, 2021, 8:15:38 AM7/17/21
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday Jul 17 2021, Daniel Guinea wrote:

> Thank you very much for your response, Dirk. <A> works always indeed.
>
> I don't get though why <e> doesn't work on the attachment of a given email,
> but if I forward it to another account then it does work... I guess the
> original troublesome email has the attachment 'inline' and, after
> forwarding it, the attachment becomes an non-inline attachment that <e>
> that act upon.

Perhaps, yeah. I guess we could try to make mu4e-view-save-attachments
be a little less picky, since from the end-user's PoV the distinction
between attachment and inline is not so clear.