PSA: 1.7.0 opened

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Aug 30, 2021, 4:55:51 AM8/30/21
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I had a bit of time this weekend and started with some 1.7.x
development, and it's in master now.

I'm starting with a bit of cleanup / refactoring. I'll try to keep
NEWS.org up to date with what I'm doing.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/djcb/mu/master/NEWS.org

Anyway, a lot of churn and no new features yet, so except for the most
adventurous / development-oriented users, I would recommend staying on
the `release/1.6` branch for now; and bug fixes will go there too.

I'll do some more cleanups, and then start working on the mu4e-summary,
to replace the aging mu4e-headers.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Tassilo Horn

Aug 30, 2021, 5:08:05 AM8/30/21
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com, Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
"Dirk-Jan C. Binnema" <dj...@djcbsoftware.nl> writes:

Hi Dirk,

> I had a bit of time this weekend and started with some 1.7.x
> development, and it's in master now.
>
> I'm starting with a bit of cleanup / refactoring. I'll try to keep
> NEWS.org up to date with what I'm doing.
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/djcb/mu/master/NEWS.org
>
> Anyway, a lot of churn and no new features yet, so except for the most
> adventurous / development-oriented users,

Hehe, I've recognized that this morning. And it won't load because
there is still a (require 'mu4e-utils) which has gone now.

Please give us a note when you are done with at least the intended
renaming and splitting to other/new files stuff. I'd like to follow
master again (and rebase the PR I have on top of that) but won't convert
my config before it has settled a bit. (Yes, I'm guilty of using some
mu4e~-functions and variables.)

> I would recommend staying on the `release/1.6` branch for now; and bug
> fixes will go there too.

Did you push that branch? I can't see it. And yes, I've run "git fetch
--all". Ah, sorry, NOW it is there but it wasn't 4 hours ago. ;-)

> I'll do some more cleanups, and then start working on the
> mu4e-summary, to replace the aging mu4e-headers.

Adventurous times ahead!

Bye,
Tassilo

Nicolas P. Rougier (gmail)

Aug 30, 2021, 5:25:32 AM8/30/21
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com, Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Hi Dirk,

I've written some code for thread folding in mu4e-headers
(https://github.com/rougier/mu4e-thread-folding) but it's a lot of
hacks and I would of course prefer to have a native solution. I
don't know if it's part of your plan for a future mu4e-summary,
but maybe thread folding might be something to keep in
mind. (possibility of headers summary would also be great for
purely aesthetic reasons).

In any case, many thanks for this wonderful package.

Best,
Nicolas

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Aug 30, 2021, 12:04:06 PM8/30/21
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Monday Aug 30 2021, Tassilo Horn wrote:

>> Anyway, a lot of churn and no new features yet, so except for the most
>> adventurous / development-oriented users,
>
> Hehe, I've recognized that this morning. And it won't load because
> there is still a (require 'mu4e-utils) which has gone now.

Yeah, a bit of a lab-leak incident...

> Please give us a note when you are done with at least the intended
> renaming and splitting to other/new files stuff. I'd like to follow
> master again (and rebase the PR I have on top of that) but won't
> convert my config before it has settled a bit. (Yes, I'm guilty of
> using some mu4e~-functions and variables.)

Biggest stuff should be there, but give it a few days to settle
down.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Aug 30, 2021, 12:20:52 PM8/30/21
to Nicolas P. Rougier (gmail), mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Monday Aug 30 2021, Nicolas P. Rougier (gmail) wrote:

> I've written some code for thread folding in mu4e-headers
> (https://github.com/rougier/mu4e-thread-folding) but it's a lot of hacks and I
> would of course prefer to have a native solution. I don't know if it's part of
> your plan for a future mu4e-summary, but maybe thread folding might be something
> to keep in mind. (possibility of headers summary would also be great for purely
> aesthetic reasons).

Yes, that's what I'm planning to do, and in fact your code is one of the
inspirations. Hopefully with a new structure it fits in naturally.

> In any case, many thanks for this wonderful package.

My pleasure!

Nicolas P. Rougier (gmail)

Aug 30, 2021, 1:09:23 PM8/30/21
to Dirk-Jan C. Binnema, mu-di...@googlegroups.com

"Dirk-Jan C. Binnema" <dj...@djcbsoftware.nl> writes:

> On Monday Aug 30 2021, Nicolas P. Rougier (gmail) wrote:
>
>> I've written some code for thread folding in mu4e-headers
>> (https://github.com/rougier/mu4e-thread-folding) but it's a lot
>> of hacks and I
>> would of course prefer to have a native solution. I don't know
>> if it's part of
>> your plan for a future mu4e-summary, but maybe thread folding
>> might
>> be something
>> to keep in mind. (possibility of headers summary would also be
>> great for purely
>> aesthetic reasons).
>
> Yes, that's what I'm planning to do, and in fact your code is
> one of the
> inspirations. Hopefully with a new structure it fits in
> naturally.

Wonderful!

Nicolas