IMAP idle (offlineIMAP, mbsync + ???, other)

Massimo D'Antoni

May 13, 2024, 5:35:52 AMMay 13
to mu-discuss

Hope this is not considered off-topic.

My mu setup currently uses mbsync for Maildir synchronization. However, mbsync is not IMAP idle compatible. On the other hand, mbsync was generally considered to be better than offlineIMAP, that supports IDLE.

I could isntall additional scripts such as imapnotify, but since they are not available as packages for my Ubuntu distribution, before installing them manually I wanted to know how other mu users have coped with this issue.

Thanks

Massimo

Joost Kremers

May 13, 2024, 6:33:17 AMMay 13
to Massimo D'Antoni, mu-discuss
On Mon, May 13 2024, Massimo D'Antoni wrote:
> My mu setup currently uses mbsync for Maildir synchronization. However, mbsync
> is not IMAP idle compatible. On the other hand, mbsync was generally considered
> to be better than offlineIMAP, that supports IDLE.

I switched from OfflineIMAP to mbsync at some point, because of the same notion
that it is "generally considered" to be better. In all honesty, however,
OfflineIMAP never caused me any trouble, so I'm not sure if the reputation is
deserved. If OfflineIMAP has this feature that you would like to have, why not
do a little reading and see if you can justify switching?

> I could isntall additional scripts such as imapnotify, but since they are not
> available as packages for my Ubuntu distribution, before installing them
> manually I wanted to know how other mu users have coped with this issue.

I've never really been interested in IMAP IDLE, I generally prefer to check my
e-mail manually. Prevents distractions... ;-)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

Christopher Gray

May 13, 2024, 1:05:38 PMMay 13
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Massimo D'Antoni <massimo...@gmail.com> writes:

> My mu setup currently uses mbsync for Maildir
> synchronization. However, mbsync is not IMAP idle compatible.
>
> I wanted to know how other mu users have coped with this issue.
I’m using goimapnotify and xfce4-mailwatch-plugin which both appear in
the archlinux extra repository.

--
Christopher Gray
christoph...@gmail.com

Benjamin Slade

May 13, 2024, 1:28:14 PMMay 13
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com, Massimo D'Antoni, Christopher Gray

I haven’t used offlineimap in years; I’ve been using goimapnotify w/ mbsync/isync for a while. One thing I can say is that goimapnotify doesn’t seem to work well with DavMail [ https://gitlab.com/shackra/goimapnotify/-/issues/18 ]; I haven’t tried DavMail with offlineimap before. (I’m slightly tempted, but loathe to mess with an otherwise working setup, though it would be nice to have imapidle working on my account I need to use DavMail with.)

-Ben

On Mon, 13 May 2024 11:05:35 -0600 (18 minutes, 27 seconds ago), Christopher Gray <christoph...@gmail.com> wrote:

Massimo D’Antoni <massimo...@gmail.com> writes:

My mu setup currently uses mbsync for Maildir
synchronization. However, mbsync is not IMAP idle compatible.

I wanted to know how other mu users have coped with this issue.

I’m using goimapnotify and xfce4-mailwatch-plugin which both appear in
the archlinux extra repository.

Christopher Gray
christoph...@gmail.com
gpg: 33B3 BC89 9D14 8852 E874  033E 3217 429B 82FF 02DA

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “mu-discuss” group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mu-discuss/875xvh7icg.fsf%40gmail.com.

Eduardo Mercovich

May 13, 2024, 2:28:29 PMMay 13
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com, Massimo D'Antoni
Hello Massimo.

> My mu setup currently uses mbsync for Maildir synchronization. However, mbsync
> is not IMAP idle compatible. On the other hand, mbsync was generally
> considered to be better than offlineIMAP, that supports IDLE. [...]

My tests (years ago) showed a serious difference in memory and CPU use,
so I chose mbsync. Also, I don't need instant mails and that is not a
bug but a feature for me. ;D

Salutti...

--
Eduardo Mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos
con las necesidades del mundo,
ahí está tu vocación.
(Anónimo)

Christian Hopps

May 14, 2024, 4:47:59 PMMay 14
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com, Massimo D'Antoni

I know you mentioned this wasn't for you as it isn't ubuntu packaged, but

I use the same setup and wanted imap idle support so I wrote a simple go application to support it, it reads and runs from ones mbsync config file, so no extra config is needed. Leaving this here in case others are interested:

https://github.com/choppsv1/imapidle

Thanks,
Chris.

Benjamin Slade

May 14, 2024, 4:53:36 PMMay 14
to Christian Hopps, mu-di...@googlegroups.com, Massimo D'Antoni

How does this compare with goimapnotify?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “mu-discuss” group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mu-discuss/m2o798qfwk.fsf%40ja.int.chopps.org.

best,
 —Benjamin

 –
 '(Dr Benjamin Slade (he/him)
     (website . https://lambda-y.net)
     `(pgp_fp: ,(B20E 444C FA80 B5F8 15FA  4AD8 6FBF CD68 3B05 2B84))
       “sent by mu4e 1.12.5 in Emacs 30.0.50 with org-msg on EndeavourOS Linux”)

Christian Hopps

May 14, 2024, 4:59:17 PMMay 14
to Benjamin Slade, Christian Hopps, mu-di...@googlegroups.com, Massimo D'Antoni
I had to take a quick look at goimapnotify.. short answer is my `imapidle` is built for mbsync users. It requires no config b/c it reads your .mbsyncrc file to configure itself.

Thanks,
Chris.

Massimo D'Antoni

May 16, 2024, 12:50:41 PMMay 16
to Christian Hopps, mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Thank you.

In meanwhile I tried goimapnotify, that works reasonably well.
I wanted to try also your impaidle. Unfortunately, when I tried to compile it (I installad golang-1.18-go in my ubuntu machine) I got an error:

...../imapidle.go:43:13: pattern .build-sha.txt: no matching files found

It is the first (actually second) time I use go, so I don't know where to put my hands.

Another question: I understand that the script invokes mbsync on the relevant channel, but how do you tell mu/mu4e to update the index?
With goimapnotify I run the command:

emacsclient --no-wait --eval '(mu4e-update-index)'

Not sure this is necessary, though.

Best
Massimo