"appease gnus" message keeps taking over index screen

Daniel Goldin

Mar 23, 2024, 1:01:02 PMMar 23
to mu-discuss
I'm a non-programmer who uses emacs and org for academic papers. Mu4e works great with gmail so far, except for this annoying popup that disturbs my work-flow. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Daniel

Alexis

Mar 23, 2024, 7:56:00 PMMar 23
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
That phrase doesn't appear anywhere in the sources of either
mu/mu4e or Emacs itself. Could you please upload a screenshot of
it to an image-sharing service (e.g. Imgur or the like), and
provide the relevant link, as well as details about whether you
installed an Emacs distro (e.g. Doom Emacs, as distinct from stock
Emacs available from www.gnu.org), how you installed it, and on
what OS?

Alexis.

Daniel Goldin

Mar 23, 2024, 8:12:10 PMMar 23
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
--
Daniel Goldin

Martin

Mar 23, 2024, 8:34:05 PMMar 23
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
On 2024-03-24 10:55, Alexis wrote:
> That phrase doesn't appear anywhere in the sources of either mu/mu4e
> or Emacs itself. Could you please upload a screenshot of it to an

Fyi, I found "appease-gnus" at codesearch.debian.net:

https://sources.debian.org/src/maildir-utils/1.10.8-2/mu4e/mu4e-view.el/?hl=706#L706

Never saw it in the wild, though.

Alexis

Mar 23, 2024, 8:38:15 PMMar 23
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Daniel Goldin <daniel...@gmail.com> writes:

> Below is a link to the image:
>
> https://imgur.com/UOl4fjH
>
> I am using emacs off of prelude. I am running emacs 29.2 on
> Linux.

Do you have 'dogears.el' installed?

https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/q1podp/mu4e_new_message_view_popping_window_appeasegnus/

Alexis.

Alexis

Mar 23, 2024, 8:50:09 PMMar 23
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, i initially only did a search in the relevant cloned repos
for "appease gnus" as it appears in the original email, i.e. with
a space instead of a dash. Once i saw the OP's screenshot, i did
an online search for "appease-gnus", i.e. with a dash instead of a
space.

Alexis.

Daniel Goldin

Mar 23, 2024, 9:22:33 PMMar 23
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I saw that dogears comment. I had dogears installed, but I uninstalled it after reading that -- and yet "appease-gnus"  still pops up.

d.
--
Daniel Goldin
Editor, Psychoanalytic Inquiry

Alexis

Mar 24, 2024, 2:44:31 AMMar 24
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Daniel Goldin <daniel...@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, I saw that dogears comment. I had dogears installed, but I
> uninstalled
> it after reading that -- and yet "appease-gnus" still pops up.

*nod* Okay, good to rule that particular extension
out. Nevertheless, there might still be some _other_ extension
which is interactively negatively with mu4e. Do you observe this
behaviour when you run an instance of stock (i.e. non-Prelude)
Emacs with _only_ mu4e and your mu4e config loaded? If not, then
you can try to narrow down which non-mu4e thing is potentially
causing the problem by 'bisecting' your Emacs config:

* Temporarily remove half of your config. If the problem
disappears, then the problem was caused by something in the half
that was removed, otherwise it was caused by something in the
half that you kept.
* Repeat the process until you find the exact part of your config
that causes the problem to appear.

Alexis.

Daniel Goldin

Mar 25, 2024, 10:06:37 PMMar 25
to mu-discuss
FYI, the culprit seems to be activities.el. Thanks for all your help.

Adam Porter

Mar 26, 2024, 10:38:43 PMMar 26
to mu-discuss

Jerry Lee Daniel

May 7, 2024, 5:54:14 AMMay 7
to mu-discuss
Loans, Project and Digital Investment financing available up to $150m.
Have a Business Plan, Fundable Project and Collateral.

Contact: danielj...@gmail.com
Whatsapp: ‪+1 (918) 707‑0858