permissions mu/mu4e make or ninja

Jim McNamara

Jul 4, 2022, 1:49:03 PM7/4/22
to mu-discuss
Hi all-

I tried to run make and it gave me permission errors. I thought when you ran make that you weren't root only make install.

When I cat README in linux it says:

#+begin_example
$ ./autogen.sh && make
$ sudo make install
#+end_example

The $ sign is there instead of #. A small printout of errors is below.

Please let me know. THANKS

ninja: Entering directory `build'
[1/87] Linking static target lib/index/libmu-index.a
FAILED: lib/index/libmu-index.a
rm -f lib/index/libmu-index.a && gcc-ar csrDT lib/index/libmu-index.a lib/index/libmu-index.a.p/mu-indexer.cc.o lib/index/libmu-index.a.p/mu-scanner.cc.o
/usr/bin/ar: lib/index/libmu-index.a: Permission denied
[2/87] Linking target lib/utils/tests/test-mu-utils
FAILED: lib/utils/tests/test-mu-utils

Jim McNamara

Jul 4, 2022, 2:05:57 PM7/4/22
to mu-discuss
Hi-

I don't have a problem doing that if dirk or someone else says it is okay.
Sometimes I just run ./configure make and then sudo make install.
I am just a little hyper vigilant because of security.

thanks very much - jim

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Jul 4, 2022, 2:36:32 PM7/4/22
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
You should not need 'sudo' etc. when building. You only need it when
installing in directory where a normal user typically does not have
permissions to write -- such as under /usr/local (*)

So - if you need 'sudo' for a normal build, something unusual is
happening. Most likely, perhaps, is that you tried to build with 'sudo'
at some point, and then later without it. Just remove the whole build/
and start aagin.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

(*) even in the install case sudo may not be needed, since ninja/meson
will *ask* you (through some polkit dialog). But it depends on your
system setup.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Jim McNamara

Jul 4, 2022, 2:53:12 PM7/4/22
to mu-discuss
Hi Dirk-

That is very cool. I tried out what you said and it worked perfect.
I got interrupted in the middle of fooling with my mu4e install last night.
I must have missed a step because it was a big interruption.

THANKS