Request for Volunteers - Trail Project - Sat., 9/11, 10am

Paul

Sep 8, 2021, 6:02:02 PM9/8/21
to Paul

Dear Friends of Trails and NDO,

Now that the weather is cooler and the bugs are much less of an issue, it’s time to get back to work on the trails!  There are three new trails that we’d like to open up this fall.  The first one starts at the Whispering Brook Rd. cul-de-sac.  Whispering Brook Rd. is in the northeast corner of Groton.  It’s off Old Dunstable Rd., less than 0.2 miles north of Island Pond Rd. and just south of Stonecleave Ln.  The trail starts on the southeast corner of the cul-de-sac and connects to an existing trail on the Groton Conservation Trust’s (GCT’s) “Mason Back 100” parcel.  The Mason Back 100 parcel connects to the GCT’s Gamlin Crystal Springs parcel as well as to NEFF’s Wharton Plantation.  The connecting trail is shown on our website’s interactive trail map, but it isn’t there yet!  Creating this new trail will be this week’s project.

The work should go pretty quickly (under 2 hours).  The woods is quite open with minimal ground cover.  The trail path needs to be cleared of mostly small dead white pine trees.  So the main tools needed are arms and hands, but a few hand saws and loppers would be helpful.  I have some loppers and saws I can make available if needed.

One or two trailhead posts will also need to be installed and all the tools for that task are in the trailer.

So the main thing needed on Saturday morning is a group of volunteers to make quick work of this trail opening, starting at 10:00 am.  Please join us if you are able, and bring a pair of work gloves.  I have a few medium-size gloves to give out if you need a pair.

Happy Trails,

Paul

Home:  978-448-2813

Mobile:  978-302-9854