Chestnut Hill Loop Trail finished up; Still Meadow is open

Paul

May 23, 2021, 1:06:52 PM5/23/21
to Paul

Dear Friends of Trails,

  • A small but mighty group of volunteers (Erik & Sandra Tobies, Lisa Irelan, Tim Leach, and Mike Vandermillen) finished up the levelling work on the trail.  We filled holes left by rocks that had been removed 3 weeks ago, bench-cut several sections of the trail that had too much cross-slope, cut out some tripping hazards (roots, etc.), and re-routed a bad turn.  So now please enjoy this nice addition to the Groton Trails Network.
  • Also added to the Trails Network yesterday was the pathway around the Still Meadow parcel off Nashua Rd.  A path was mowed through the high grass and low bushes to make possible a scenic circumnavigation of the parcel, including the “inner” field closest to the Meadowview Subdivision that connects to Wattles Pond.  You can also connect over to the Northwoods Conservation Area and enjoy the trail that goes along the shore of the pond off Northwoods Rd.  Warning: it is a field, and being in the open on a hot day like this it can get very hot.  Best to go when the sun is low in the morning or the evening.  You can see many wildflowers and field birds there as well as deer in the “inner” field.  Between the large field and the inner field, a branch of Reedy Meadow Brook can be seen as well.
  • For those of you who are not busy on Saturday (or maybe Sunday) of Memorial Day weekend and are able to volunteer for a couple of hours, I’ll be organizing another trail maintenance project and I will send out a notice later this week.
  • And please, If you see something (needing maintenance), Say something (send me a note!).  Your many eyes are very helpful to us in our efforts to keep our trails in good shape.  Thank you.

Happy Trails!

Paul

Home:  978-448-2813

Mobile:  978-302-9854