How to add a new phase to list of phases and to change the phase and orientation of an EBSD data point

Tuomo Nyyssönen

Jan 22, 2015, 9:04:24 AM1/22/15
to mtex...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ralf Hielscher and others,

my EBSD data initially only has one indexed phase (such as the data attached to the topic "Merging grains that satisfy a set of conditions"). If I would wish to change the phase of a selected data point to another phase, how would I go about it?

When I add a new phase to the workspace like this:

% austenite phase
{cs_fcc = crystalSymmetry('m-3m', [3.6599 3.6599 3.6599], ...
  'mineral', 'austenite (fcc)', 'color', 'light green');}

And at some point end up with an orientation like this:

{fcc_parents(1)

ans = orientation (show methods, plot)
  size: 1 x 1
  crystal symmetry : austenite (fcc) (m-3m)
  specimen symmetry: 1

  Bunge Euler angles in degree
     phi1     Phi    phi2    Inv.
  91.2625 118.591  329.02       0}

I then attempt to change an EBSD data point to this particular orientation:

{ebsd_aus(grains(grain_ind(n))).orientations = fcc_parents(n);}

After I do this, every single data point in my EBSD data has been converted to austenitic phase. This I did not intend.

Is this because the EBSD data initially only contains a single phase? How can I add a new phase into my list of phases in my ebsd data?

Best regards,
Tuomo Nyyssönen

Ralf Hielscher

Jan 30, 2015, 5:40:35 AM1/30/15
to mtex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tuomo,

the following lines do what you want.

define the symmetry
cs_fcc = crystalSymmetry('m-3m', [3.6599 3.6599 3.6599], ...

'mineral', 'austenite (fcc)', 'color', 'light green')

add the symmetry to your EBSD data set
ebsd.CSList{end+1} = cs_fcc;

give this symmetry a phase number (here 10)
ebsd.phaseMap(end+1) = 10

change the phase number of the measurements in question to the new phase number
ebsd(ind).phase = 10

Note, there was a bug in MTEX 4.09. which is fixed in 4.10. which should make this working.

Ralf.

Tuomo Nyyssönen

Feb 6, 2015, 4:12:02 AM2/6/15
to mtex...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Ralf,

your code solved the problem.

BR, Tuomo

bjørn eske sørensen

May 13, 2022, 7:12:36 AM5/13/22
to MTEX
Thanks for this. I have three indexings of the same diffraction pattern with different phases (Sphalerite, pyrite and pentlandite) that are very similar in lattice parameters. because OIM was not able to index the phases without some phase misidentification I will combine them in one using additional criteria to get both phase and orietnations correct.

Ebsd =[ebsd1, ebsd2] did not work, but this is very helpfull

Cheers

Bjørn Eske