Incorrect LIRR track number from gtfs-rt

Zahidur R

Sep 19, 2022, 8:53:47 AMSep 19
to mtadeveloperresources
  1. I have implemented gtfs-rt API for my client (Clever Commute). Here gtfs-rt shows LIRR leaving NY Penn from tracks such as 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8.
    But actually LIRR trains never leave NYP on low-numbered tracks. Rather, they use approx tracks 14-22
    Is this issue with gtfs-rt?
  2. On the other hand, LIRR gtfs-rt returns no data sometimes.
    Is  gtfs-rt  still is beta version?

Fisher, Will

Sep 19, 2022, 10:02:26 AMSep 19
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com

What URL are you pulling from?

Will

Confidentiality Note: This e-mail, and any attachment to it, may contain privileged and confidential information and is intended for the use of the individual(s) or entity named on the e-mail. Unauthorized disclosure of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and destroy this message and all copies thereof, including all attachments.

Zahidur R

Sep 19, 2022, 2:44:52 PMSep 19
to mtadeveloperresources

Fisher, Will

Sep 19, 2022, 2:56:24 PMSep 19
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com

Can you try backend.mylirr.org/gtfs and see if that’s any better?

clevercommute

Sep 19, 2022, 3:36:46 PMSep 19
to mtadeveloperresources
I work with OP. I am the publisher of the app using that data.

Thanks for the efforts here. But I need MTA to provide more clarity.
I know everyone is doing their best and trying to help.
If you need alpha/beta testers for this "backend" API, then we can consider participating if it makes sense for all parties.

But for now, I am looking for feedback on the bugs reported in this thread.
  1. Are both of these APIs in GA status?
  2. Are you aware of what we see as an API defect? (LIRR trains on low-number tracks)
  3. How can we file bug reports so that MTA can look into this and give us traceability
Thanks,

--Josh

Fisher, Will

Sep 19, 2022, 11:35:02 PMSep 19
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

  1. Yes, both are
  2. Haven’t looked because my team doesn’t work on the feed you’re currently using. The feed I gave you runs the app and has many more eyeballs on it.
  3. You can report directly to me (wfi...@mtahq.org) – should work for now

Best,

Will

clevercommute

Sep 20, 2022, 6:00:14 AMSep 20
to mtadeveloperresources
Thanks.

I don't think app owners should be asked to refactor their code as an experiment when (as far as they know) they are using a GA prod API.
If your team does not work on that original production feed, then how does the dev community engage the team that does?
We think there is a bug and as an app owner, I simply look to the API provider to own and operate the API with some kind of SLA.

An honest question for you: Any feedback for me on how we got to a point where my app is using an API that appears be #2 in terms of support and monitoring?
Was there some kind of public announcement that MTA is doing a structured migration from one to the other?

I know you are doing your best to help, but my board and my advisors are certainly going to grill me on this, and I can see their point of view.

Fisher, Will

Sep 20, 2022, 9:32:04 AMSep 20
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com

You can email me offline to discuss.