Subway Destination Location to stop_id mapping?

JP Reardon

Feb 17, 2021, 9:04:55 PM2/17/21
to mtadeveloperresources
Hi All-

Does anyone know if a mapping between the three character "Origin Location" / "Destination Location" in nyct_train_id and stop_id exists?

While the documentation says nyct_train_id is meant for internal use, those location codes seem like a pretty reliable way to get the destination.

Thank you!

jp

Ilya K

Nov 29, 2023, 9:36:22 AM11/29/23
to mtadeveloperresources
Hello

Wanted to follow up on this

Are the above 3 characters from train_id the best way to get the destination information for a train? And if so, I am also curious to see if mapping to the full name of the destination exists

Thank you!

IK

Sunny

Nov 29, 2023, 10:31:53 AM11/29/23
to mtadeveloperresources
The destination (headsign) of a train is best taken by looking at the stop ID of the last stop in the list. The three letter codes are not a 1:1 mapping with statios, because of the number of stations we have that share a name, even internally it's a one to many and more meant for human (dispatcher) readability than actual use for data.

Ilya K

Nov 29, 2023, 10:44:11 AM11/29/23
to mtadeveloperresources
Thanks Sunny - exactly what I was looking for!