Save time parsing GTFS - try this python library

Andrew Dickinson

Nov 28, 2021, 9:42:56 AM11/28/21
to mtadeveloperresources
Hi all,

Just wanted to share a python library I put together for parsing GTFS realtime feeds. I really just wanted to do some simple parsing (next few trains for a given stop), but I found the protobuf format and the GTFS spec pretty heavy for such a simple use case. I was curious how it all worked, so I dove into the details and I think I've done a pretty good job translating it into native python. Hopefully this will save some other folks time. You can install it with:

pip install nyct-gtfs

Please let me know what you think, or if I've missed something you would like to see included. The README.md is pretty self explanatory, but also feel free to let me know if there's anything unclear with how to use it.

Roberto Lopez

Dec 7, 2021, 5:12:13 AM12/7/21
to mtadeveloperresources
It was actually very useful for me to be able to look at the code and get some questions answered about the subway feed.  Thanks for sharing!