Incorrect Grand Central Shuttle Documentation & Data

Underway

Jul 10, 2022, 10:51:12 PM7/10/22
to mtadeveloperresources
hello,

I have consistently observed a documentation error and data error over the past several months regarding the Grand Central Shuttle in the GTFS feed.

Documentation error
In addition, the documentation in `https://api.mta.info/nyct-subway.proto.txt` says the opposite of what I usually observe, confirmed with arrival times on `new.mta.info`. I usually observe the following:
N = to Times Square
S = to Grand Central

Data error
In the GTFS Real-time feed, the NYCT Trip descriptor sometimes contains "SOUTH" for the direction, when the `trip_id` indicates `N` for north, for the Grand Central Shuttle aka `GS`. Since this happens inconsistently, I suspect it is in error.

For a workaround, I will use the trip_id to get the direction of the train.

Screenshot:
Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 10.37.33 PM.png
Text of entity:

entity {

  id: "000156"

  trip_update {

    trip {

      trip_id: "136000_GS.N01R"

      start_date: "20220710"

      route_id: "GS"

      [transit_realtime.nyct_trip_descriptor] {

        train_id: "0S 2240  GCS/TSS"

        is_assigned: true

        direction: SOUTH

      }