git svn clone gives RA layer request failed: PROPFIND - 403 Forbidden

Timotei

Jan 2, 2011, 11:33:31 AM1/2/11
to msysGit
Hi everyone!

I'm a git user, but I use git not only on linux, but mainly on
Windows, and using msysGit.

I wanted to do the following this days:

> git svn clone http://svn3.xp-dev.com/svn/gitsvn_test/

You can also check it, but I think it will work for everyone.

However, my issue is, that that command doesn't work on my Windows 7
x64 machine. I've installed Windows XP Professional x86 and Windows 7
x86, used the same portable git version to do the same command. That
worked. I've used the same portable version (the latest one: 1.7.3.1
all 3 times I've tried).

The error I get is:
> Initialized empty Git repository in d:/gitsvn_test/.git/
> RA layer request failed: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/gitsvn_test': PROPFIND of '/svn/gitsvn_test': 403 Forbidden (http://svn3.xp-dev.com) at D:\bin\Git/libexec/git-core/git-svn line 1773

That line is this from the source code:
> my $ra = Git::SVN::Ra->new($url);

I've searched over the internet and didn't found anything helpful,
just only one thing saying something, that the SVN libs may be the
problem ( http://ayende.com/Blog/archive/2009/08/20/git-horror.aspx#33594
).

Also, I've downloaded and used the git netinstall, but inside it, I
get the same result.

I don't know what else I should do to isolate the issue so I can see
if I can fix it. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Timo

Konstantin Khomoutov

Jan 2, 2011, 2:51:26 PM1/2/11
to Timotei, msysGit
On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 08:33:31AM -0800, Timotei wrote:

> > git svn clone http://svn3.xp-dev.com/svn/gitsvn_test/
>
> You can also check it, but I think it will work for everyone.
>
> However, my issue is, that that command doesn't work on my Windows 7
> x64 machine. I've installed Windows XP Professional x86 and Windows 7
> x86, used the same portable git version to do the same command. That
> worked. I've used the same portable version (the latest one: 1.7.3.1
> all 3 times I've tried).
>
> The error I get is:
> > Initialized empty Git repository in d:/gitsvn_test/.git/
> > RA layer request failed: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/gitsvn_test': PROPFIND of '/svn/gitsvn_test': 403 Forbidden (http://svn3.xp-dev.com) at D:\bin\Git/libexec/git-core/git-svn line 1773

Do I understand right that 32-bit XP and 7 works while 64-bit 7 doesn't?

Also, just to make sure: do you have direct connection to the internet
on that 64-bit 7 machine (that is, there's no HTTP proxy)?

Timotei Dolean

Jan 2, 2011, 2:53:04 PM1/2/11
to msysGit
I don't have any other windows machine on x64 bit that I can test.

The internet yes, it's direct connection. No proxy.

Timo

Tay Ray Chuan

Jan 3, 2011, 12:35:01 AM1/3/11
to Timotei, msysGit
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Timotei <timo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanted to do the following this days:
>
>> git svn clone http://svn3.xp-dev.com/svn/gitsvn_test/
>
> You can also check it, but I think it will work for everyone.
>
> However, my issue is, that that command doesn't work on my Windows 7
> x64 machine. I've installed Windows XP Professional x86 and Windows 7
> x86, used the same portable git version to do the same command. That
> worked. I've used the same portable version (the latest one: 1.7.3.1
> all 3 times I've tried).

No problems for me. I used 1.7.3.2 on Windows 7 64-bit edition.

--
Cheers,
Ray Chuan

Timotei

Jan 5, 2011, 11:40:54 AM1/5/11
to msysGit
Ok. Managed to test on another w7 64 bit, the same "folder" with git
as mine. It works.

Then, it seems it's a problem coming from my machine...
Now to think where to start digging.

Timo

On Jan 3, 7:35 am, Tay Ray Chuan <rcta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Timotei <timote...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wanted to do the following this days:
>
> >> git svn clonehttp://svn3.xp-dev.com/svn/gitsvn_test/

Timotei

Jan 7, 2011, 11:49:25 AM1/7/11
to msysGit
Does anyone have any idea on what/where to check for solutions/the
problem? It seems it persists even in safe mode :(.

Thanks,
Timo

Albert

Jan 7, 2011, 11:15:28 PM1/7/11
to msysGit
Can you browse the SVN repo in IE?

Timotei

Jan 17, 2011, 2:32:43 PM1/17/11
to msysGit
Hi Again!
It seems I've found the problem.

It read the $HOME/.subversion files (config/server) and there I forgot
to comment a proxy. Since I didn't use anymore the proxy, it still
tried to use that.

Maybe the message can be cleared up a bit, so no more problems in
future.

Timo

Yehoshua Melech

Mar 1, 2011, 10:54:05 AM3/1/11
to msysGit
Note that on Windows on you can figure out the home directory with
> echo %HOME%

Normally it's c:\documents and settings\%username$, but sometimes
individuals or corporations changes this directory.

jj

Mark Mikofski

Jul 18, 2018, 9:03:23 AM7/18/18
to Git for Windows
If you are just trying to migrate svn to Git, try [SubGit](https://subgit.com/), free [download](https://subgit.com/download), and [documentation](https://subgit.com/documentation/). SubGit is a Java implementation, that is useful for both 1-time migrations and for mirroring svn to Git repositories and _v.v._ SubGit worked for me when `git-svn` didn't. SubGit works on _any_ platform with the Java JRE. (FYI: If you have the Java JDK, and have set `JAVA_HOME` make sure the path is correct.). After downloading SubGit, extract the zip file, and enter the bin folder. Then follow the online documentation. A batch file for Windows and a shell file for Mac and Linux are both in the extracted `bin` folder. For Windows just replace `subgit` with `subgit.bat` in the following example:

$ subgit import --svn-url path://to/your/svn/repo GIT_REPO_PATH

This will create a new Git repo at `GIT_REPO_PATH` from the subversion repo given by the URL. See the documentation for other options such as specifying how you want to map `trunk/branches/tags/shelves` etc.