GfW 2 displays 2nd icon in taskbar when pinned to it

Dirk Heinrichs

Aug 19, 2015, 2:54:22 AM8/19/15
to msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Small annoyance: I've pinned Git Bash to taskbar, like I do for most other oftenly used programs. However, when I actually run it, it creates a second taskbar icon, whereas other programs "reuse" the pinned one (display only one).

Bye...

    Dirk
--

Dirk Heinrichs, Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Solutions
Recommind GmbH, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach

Ciaran

Aug 19, 2015, 3:44:38 AM8/19/15
to Dirk Heinrichs, msysGit
On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 7:54 AM, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.he...@recommind.com> wrote:
Hi,

Small annoyance: I've pinned Git Bash to taskbar, like I do for most other oftenly used programs. However, when I actually run it, it creates a second taskbar icon, whereas other programs "reuse" the pinned one (display only one).

Are you running the very latest (2.5.0) version of git for windows?   There was an issue in earlier releases (https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/263https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/260 etc.)  But I *think* it is expected to be addressed in the latest version.  However it appears as though I can still replicate the behaviour (caveat, I may have destroyed my registry trying to fix that issues previously!)

-Cj.

Dirk Heinrichs

Aug 19, 2015, 3:53:29 AM8/19/15
to Ciaran, msysGit
Am 19.08.2015 um 09:44 schrieb Ciaran:

Are you running the very latest (2.5.0) version of git for windows?

Yes, I do.

Johannes Schindelin

Aug 19, 2015, 8:59:58 AM8/19/15
to Dirk Heinrichs, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dirk,

On 2015-08-19 08:54, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> Small annoyance: I've pinned Git Bash to taskbar, like I do for most
> other oftenly used programs. However, when I actually run it, it
> creates
> a second taskbar icon, whereas other programs "reuse" the pinned one
> (display only one).

Please follow the guidelines at
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/wiki/Issue-reporting-guidelines
to augment this bug report.

In particular, I am interested in OS version and CPU architecture, what
*display name* you see when switching windows to the Git Bash with
Alt+Tab, and the path recorded in
$HOME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User
Pinned\**\Git Bash.lnk

The reason I need so many additional data points is that it works here
as expected.

Ciao,
Johannes

Dirk Heinrichs

Aug 19, 2015, 9:53:47 AM8/19/15
to Johannes Schindelin, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dirk,

On 2015-08-19 08:54, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

Small annoyance: I've pinned Git Bash to taskbar, like I do for most
other oftenly used programs. However, when I actually run it, it creates
a second taskbar icon, whereas other programs "reuse" the pinned one
(display only one).

Please follow the guidelines at https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/wiki/Issue-reporting-guidelines to augment this bug report.

In particular, I am interested in OS version and CPU architecture,

It's GfW 2.5.0 on Win 7 Pro (set to German locale) and Win Server 2012R2 (english), both 64bit. I could make it work on Server 2012R2 by unpinning and pinning again, but that didn't work on Win 7 Pro.

what *display name* you see when switching windows to the Git Bash with Alt+Tab,

I see "MINGW64:/current/working/directory"

and the path recorded in $HOME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\**\Git Bash.lnk

Not sure what you mean by "path". When I open the properties, I have "Target" and "Start in" fields in the "Shortcut" tab  and in the "General" tab there's a "Location" field, but no "path".

Johannes Schindelin

Aug 19, 2015, 10:01:27 AM8/19/15

On 2015-08-19 15:53, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am 19.08.2015 um 14:59 schrieb Johannes Schindelin:

>> and the path recorded in $HOME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet
>> Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\**\Git Bash.lnk
>
> Not sure what you mean by "path". When I open the properties, I have
> "Target" and "Start in" fields in the "Shortcut" tab and in the
> "General" tab there's a "Location" field, but no "path".

Well, the entry in "Target" is a path to me ;-)

In any case, you might want to unpin the icon, delete that Git Bash.lnk
file and re-pin. This fixed it here, and it was only an issue because I
had pinned the Git Bash to the task bar with a previous Git for Windows
release candidate.

Ciao,
Johannes