Git for Windows 2.5.0

Johannes Schindelin

Aug 18, 2015, 12:30:13 PM8/18/15
to Git Mailing List, msy...@googlegroups.com, git-for...@googlegroups.com
Dear Git (for Windows) users,

it is my great pleasure to announce the first official version of Git for
Windows. We finally have caught up with Git 2.x and are ready to leave the
-preview suffix behind (more on that below).

It is available at https://git-for-windows.github.io/ and also at https://git-scm.com/.

So how does that affect you?

- The biggest benefit is that we finally have a 64-bit Git for Windows. This
not only makes a huge difference with large repositories; It also avoids
some bugs (if you are interested in technical details, please have a look
at https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/wiki/32-bit-issues).

- Another huge benefit is that we benefit from (and contribute to) the very
active MSys2 community; MSys2 is a minimal POSIX system (forked from
Cygwin) that sports a package manager and many packages that are kept
up-to-date.

- As a consequence of basing Git for Windows on MSys2's packages, Git for
Windows now comes with up-to-date versions of Bash and OpenSSL. Oh, and
we finally have support in `git svn` for recent Subversion features!

- Since there were not many users of Git Cheetah, the Explorer extension
similar to TortoiseSVN, and since there is the actively maintained
TortoiseGit, Git for Windows dropped support for Git Cheetah.

- Git for Windows will be maintained more actively from now on, following
Git development more closely. And of course, contributions are welcome!

- GitHub for Windows is slated to integrate this new version soon and will
continue to follow Git for Windows' development closely.

I probably forgot to mention some really important improvements, so feel
free to point them out as replies to this mail.

Work on upgrading Git for Windows to use MSys2 and follow Git 2.x has been a
lot of work that has been going on since the end of January. It would not have
been possible without substantial support of GitHub, in particular Michael
Haggerty, Jeff King and Brendan Forster, the help of Karsten Blees, Nalla,
Sebastian Schuberth, and other contributors. The maintenance of Git for
Windows is supported by Microsoft from now on.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank above-mentioned developers and
companies: this is your release just as much as it is mine.

Ciao,
Johannes

罗勇刚(Yonggang Luo)

Aug 18, 2015, 12:33:15 PM8/18/15
to Johannes Schindelin, Git Mailing List, Git, git-for...@googlegroups.com
Johannes Schindelin, Thanks a lot for the great work on Git for Windows.

*** Please reply-to-all at all times ***
*** (do not pretend to know who is subscribed and who is not) ***
*** Please avoid top-posting. ***
The msysGit Wiki is here: https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit/wiki - Github accounts are free.

msysgit+u...@googlegroups.com
For more options, and view previous threads, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit?hl=en_US?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Git for Windows" group.

         此致

罗勇刚
Yours
    sincerely,
Yonggang Luo

Dirk Heinrichs

Aug 19, 2015, 2:19:51 AM8/19/15
to msy...@googlegroups.com
Am 18.08.2015 um 18:30 schrieb Johannes Schindelin:

it is my great pleasure to announce the first official version of Git for
Windows. We finally have caught up with Git 2.x and are ready to leave the
-preview suffix behind (more on that below).

Great news!

- Another huge benefit is that we benefit from (and contribute to) the very
  active MSys2 community; MSys2 is a minimal POSIX system (forked from
  Cygwin) that sports a package manager and many packages that are kept
  up-to-date.

- As a consequence of basing Git for Windows on MSys2's packages, Git for
  Windows now comes with up-to-date versions of Bash and OpenSSL. Oh, and
  we finally have support in `git svn` for recent Subversion features!

Is the package manager included? Or i.o.w.: Are users able to add additional MSys2 packages to a Git for Windows installation (I strongly prefer zsh over bash, for example)?

Bye...

    Dirk
--

Dirk Heinrichs, Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Solutions
Recommind GmbH, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach

Johannes Schindelin

Aug 19, 2015, 3:24:24 AM8/19/15
to Dirk Heinrichs, msy...@googlegroups.com, git-for...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dirk,

I re-C:ed the Git For Windows mailing list because it supersedes the
msysGit mailing list.

On 2015-08-19 08:18, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am 18.08.2015 um 18:30 schrieb Johannes Schindelin:
>
>> - Another huge benefit is that we benefit from (and contribute to) the
>> very
>> active MSys2 community; MSys2 is a minimal POSIX system (forked from
>> Cygwin) that sports a package manager and many packages that are
>> kept
>> up-to-date.
>>
>> - As a consequence of basing Git for Windows on MSys2's packages, Git
>> for
>> Windows now comes with up-to-date versions of Bash and OpenSSL. Oh,
>> and
>> we finally have support in `git svn` for recent Subversion features!
>
> Is the package manager included? Or i.o.w.: Are users able to add
> additional MSys2 packages to a Git for Windows installation (I strongly
> prefer zsh over bash, for example)?

No, the package manager is not included. The reasons are:

- Git for Windows really aims to be *Git for Windows*, not a replacement
for MSys2. What you seek is really MSys2 which you can configure to your
heart's extent. And since there is already MSys2, there is no reason why
Git for Windows should aim to fill the same niche.

- It would be an unreasonable maintenance burden to support all the
weird different configurations people would want. It would be different
if the Git for Windows community had more volunteers, but as you see
from your own example: there is more asking than there is answering, so
I have to be very careful which components I choose to maintain.

- Users who want to have more than just Git for Windows are strongly
advised to use MSys2 directly. It does not *yet* come with the same Git
version Git for Windows ships, but there is a ticket for it:
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/284. Once that ticket is
addressed, you can just install MSys2, configure it to your heart's
extent, and get Git for Windows' updates automatically with a simple
`pacman -Syu` command.

- Until Git for Windows is integrated properly into MSys2, you could use
the Git SDK -- which is a friendly fork of MSys2, pre-configured to the
needs of Git for Windows developers. It will do more than you want, e.g.
building Git from scratch, but then, it really caters to Git for Windows
contributors.

- In the interest of reducing bandwidth, the packages' contents are not
included *entirely*. Only a fraction of the files are actually shipped
with Git for Windows (I analyzed which ones are needed, and skip most of
the others). Therefore, even if I included `pacman.exe`, you would be in
trouble because the packages are incomplete. Even worse, the record
which packages were installed is not included -- because it would
contain the entire set of packages I have installed locally to *develop*
Git for Windows.

So you see, it would be a bad idea to include the package manager into
the end-user-facing Git for Windows installation.

Ciao,
Johannes