Introduction to Scripting

sseric57

Mar 13, 2007, 9:24:46 PM3/13/07
to Scripting
I joined this group basically just to watch and maybe learn.  It is something I have no idea about, not even having read the manual on it.  But, I am always anxious to learn and willing to jump in and try tweaking things.

Has anyone done any basic scripts for the MSS and Q they would like to share, just so I could examine it and maybe figure how it works.  I know, this is the lazy man's way of learning, but I follow the Henry Ford philosophy:  Give me the hardest job you've got and the laziest worker you have to do it, because if there is an easy way of getting it done, he'll find it...

Eric SS

Gannet

Mar 14, 2007, 6:30:20 AM3/14/07
to msscr...@googlegroups.com
You know, one thing I'd like to see are more accessible programs for Smartphones.  I don't know of any other than the Word Pad ap, so if anyone has any tips, could you pass them along?

I hope this is ok but I wanted to mention that I have a group meant for the general discussion of MobileSpeak and Talks, and accessible phones.  All current users and newbys aare encouraged to join.

Mark Torgerson

Mar 14, 2007, 9:40:34 AM3/14/07
to msscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gannet,

Yes, I would enjoy more information on accessible programs for smart phones also.

God bless,
Mark (Frederick)

sseric57

Mar 14, 2007, 10:51:43 AM3/14/07
to msscr...@googlegroups.com
Three accessible programs I can mention are all entertainment related:

Pocket Player:  This is a media player, but a few features it has that the Windows player does not include a ten band equalizer, ability to increase (compress) speed, and built-in web browser with podcast and Shout cast programming already in it.  Probably much more I haven't explored yet.  It is $19.95 with a 30-day, fully functioning trial.

ETV:  This is a TV program with about 20 channels in it.  It has categories such as education with Discovery channel, National Geographics, etc.; news with CNN, BBC, CBC, etc.; weather with the Weather Channel and one of the network weather channels; government with CSAPN 1-13 and a few others, plus more I am forgetting.  There is a trial that runs about 5 minutes before you have to restart the program.  It is all accessible and I am told the picture is good, for the size screen.  Price is $4.95.

E-Mobile:  This is a radio player.  It has categories like news/talk with about 7 stations, country, pop, jazz, classical, world, etc.  The thing with it is the category screen is icons that MSS will not read, but you can memorize the columns and rows.  Within the categories, the screen reads, but not what you are on, so again you have to know what you are looking for, which varies from a few to maybe 7 stations, so not impossible to use.  The MSS restricted cursor can read that screen to help you orient yourself.  It was $17.95.

AvantGo is also fully accessible, an information aggregator that is free.

If you check the Handago web site and look at their application descriptions, but look where they mention the product developer and go to that web site, which you usually have to do by extrapolating from the E-mail address, you can find trial versions.  Many times Handago does not indicate if there is a trial.  They do, however, have an absolute satisfaction guarantee, so if you think something will work and it does not, they will give you a refund.  I have requested it once and it is not something I would do often.

The best!

Eric SS

Mar 14, 2007, 12:33:21 PM3/14/07
to msscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

On the programs you mentioned, do the radio and TV programs require the use of once cell air minutes?

                    God bless,
                    Mark

sseric57

Mar 14, 2007, 7:58:53 PM3/14/07
to msscr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Mark.  It does require that you have the data package.  Admittedly, that is a bit pricy, but if I don't spend my money, the kids will...

Eric SS