starter script question

John covici

Aug 1, 2007, 10:37:06 AM8/1/07
to msscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I have an xv6700 and I was reading the scripting manual -- so I
took their first example and followed their instructions and placed it
in the windows directory under the name fexplore.lua . Now there was
one there already, but I renamed it and put the sample in its place,
but nothing seemed to happen -- how can I tell if the thing works at
all?

Thanks.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
cov...@ccs.covici.com

Mark Torgerson

Aug 1, 2007, 12:38:34 PM8/1/07
to msscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,
I don't have experience in programming in LUA. I am mainly a list
manager. So, I was wondering if you could give me some more information.
What does the lua file do? This may give us some ideas on how to test it.

God bless,
Mark

John covici

Aug 1, 2007, 1:06:46 PM8/1/07
to msscr...@googlegroups.com
It is their first sample script in the MSP manual. It does not do too
much, but announce I guess the Window title or some such.

Here it is below:

-- Announcing foreground window Example Script

-- Copyright (c) 2005 by Code Factory, S.L. All rights reserved

-- June 9^th 2005

--[[

This script shows how to get the title of the foreground window (that is, the window that the user is working on). To do this, we call a function
called GetForegroundTitle, which is defined in msp_win.lua (this is why we need the require "msp_win.lua)

]]

require "msp_win.lua"

function OnAppStart ()

TRACE("OnAppStart")

local title=GetForegroundTitle ()

if ( title == nil ) then -- Variable is not nil.

TRACE("Cannot get title of foreground window")

else

TRACE("Foreground Window Title: "..title )

end

end

But when I placed it in my windows directory, it seemed to do nothing.

on Wednesday 08/01/2007 Mark Torgerson(markto...@my180.net) wrote

Mark Torgerson

Aug 1, 2007, 1:51:05 PM8/1/07
to msscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,
Now, I am speaking only from my experience with JAWS script writing but
sometimes I have had to reboot my desktop computer before the new script
took affect. after that any modifications to the existing script went in to
affect instantly. Also, from my days of programming in basic 3.2 I notice
there is no command to display the information I don't know if this is
needed in LUA or not? The file does not appear to have a key to call the
script so does it run automatically? These are all things I don't have
answers for but they might be interesting angles to look at. Please let us
know how things go and we will keep trying to give ideas.
Thank you for your post.