Barrister Cup Recap

1 view

MSSA Vice Commodore

May 16, 2022, 9:17:07 AM5/16/22
to MSSA

Hello MSSA members,

Five boats raced in the Barrister Cup:

Sound’s Great

Rode Trip

Crocodile

Gypsy Moon

Osprey

The day started with fog and a cool NW breeze, and ended with bright sunshine and a strong southerly. In between was light air and fast currents. From the start at  (temporary) mark A, the first mark was C, the RW off Port Jeff harbor.  We were beating upwind into 10 kts true wind. Some boats sailed SW towards Long Island, others headed NW. On Sound’s Great out strategy was to stay close to Long Island to avoid the foul current of the ebb tide.

We didn’t have a great start but concentrated on sailing fast and as high as possible. With a nice clean bottom and sails strapped in tight we moved nicely upwind. When the depth got to 10 feet we tacked away from land. When we got out into the current we tacked back towards land. The plan was working and we kept on sailing as fast as possible.

The wind (forecast to be south to sw) got lighter and lighter. We struggled to find signs of wind. No boats were moving quickly  and after consulting with the freet we decided to shorten the course. Now it was round C and head back to A. The trip back was slow. The ebb tide helped keep boats moving but there wasn't a lot of wind. Eventually the southerly filled in and we rocketed over the line. finishing at 4:21.

Thanks to all of the MSSA member boats and crew who participated. I had a lot of fun and it was great to be back on the water, sailing and racing again.

In other news:

Last year was my first with Sound's Great and she came with a full set of sails, including a code 0 on a furler (used twice last year) and an asymmetric spinnaker in a bag (never used by me). I wanted to fly the chute, and with enough crew aboard we did. After rounding the windward mark the chute went up easily, which was nice. I moved forward to see it, and boy was I surprised - the spinnaker is small, like real small, definitely NOT for my boat. It's also a lime green color (yuck). If anyone is looking for a small asym chute (probably for a 30-35' boat), lime green, in good condition with a bag - let me know.

Barry Lenoble
MSSA Vice Commodore