Long Distance Race canceled. Reschedule?

MSSA Vice Commodore

Jul 13, 2024, 8:40:02 AM (14 days ago) Jul 13
to MSSA
Racers,

Due to todays less then ideal weather we are going to cancel todays long distance race. I would like to reschedule this race. We had interest, and for the sake of getting more boats out I would like to ask if there is a better time of day to get a few more boats out? Would a later start time such as 1300, or 1600 or anywhere in between get more boats participating? Maybe a later start would get better breeze and a little bit of night sailing in to. I would be looking to still make it a Saturday race unless a Sunday would get better attendance.

On another note we have had great turn out for the weekend races so far. 3-5 boats, i think thats great. I think this would allow me to repurpose an unused trophy for a best overall weekend race performance. Let me know what you think!

Kenneth Nilsen
MSSA Vice Commodore

Paul Mammina

Jul 13, 2024, 8:55:07 AM (14 days ago) Jul 13
to vice.co...@mssa.org, MSSA

Full moon is August 19th. Maybe a later start around 5:00 would have some better wind plus give some night sailing with the aid of a full moon? (Since the Middle Ground Night Race was also cancelled) So either Friday, 8/16 or Saturday, 8/17 for the rescheduled race?

Paul Mammina
s/v Organized Chaos

This message is from the MSSA Google Group.
Replies are sent to the author of the message.

To post to the group, send email to ms...@googlegroups.com
To change your email settings go to http://groups.google.com/group/mssa

---

John Hobbs

Jul 13, 2024, 10:36:18 AM (14 days ago) Jul 13
to vice.co...@mssa.org, MSSA

Hi,

I'm all for rescheduling. For Outlier, there's no preference among day, afternoon or evening other than the probability of better wind in the evening. Saturday would be better than Sunday if it turns out to be an evening race.

Personally, we have schedule conflicts over the next 10 days, but, for example, Paul's suggestions for August dates work well.

    John Hobbs
    s/v Outlier 2

MSSA Vice Commodore

Jul 17, 2024, 6:35:18 AM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to pmam...@gmail.com, MSSA
Hello MSSA racers,

Is there any other boats interested in participating in a rescheduled "Long Distance Race"? The idea was to reschedule it and shift the start time back to around 5 pm. It looks like Saturday August 17th would be a good day to reschedule it. As it was pointed out this is almost a full moon weekend, and no conflicting races are happening. If this day works for every who plans to race I would like to set the start time at 5pm, this would get most boats home on their moorings by around 9pm I think.

This is the Bridge port cruise weekend, would this be an issue for anyone?

Kenneth Nilsen
MSSA Vice Commodore

Jeff Butler

Jul 17, 2024, 9:52:40 AM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to vice.co...@mssa.org, pmam...@gmail.com, MSSA
I would be very interested.
Jeff Butler

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 17, 2024, at 6:35 AM, MSSA Vice Commodore <vice.co...@mssa.org> wrote:

Hello MSSA racers,

Audra Mammina

Jul 17, 2024, 9:55:31 AM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to MSSA Vice Commodore, Paul Mammina, MSSA
Not sure If Paul replied, but Organized Chaos would love to race, and that day works well for us.
Audra

MSSA Vice Commodore

Jul 18, 2024, 4:49:25 AM (9 days ago) Jul 18
to Audra Mammina, Paul Mammina, MSSA
Based on the responses I have received from the emails and text I have sent out. I am going to reschedule the long distance for the evening of Saturday August 17th, at 1700. Everything else will follow what our year book calls for. Self start, 10-20 mile race, and whatever else is in there. We will update the website schedule and i will send reminder emails as the date gets closer due to the change. Thank you to everyone who got back to me.

Kenneth Nilsen
MSSA Vice Commodore

Paul Mammina

Jul 18, 2024, 8:35:26 AM (9 days ago) Jul 18
to MSSA Vice Commodore, MSSA
Ken,

Organized Chaos will be racing the Long Distance Race!  Thanks for rescheduling it.  I think 17:00 start is a good start time.

Paul Mammina

MSSA Vice Commodore

Jul 22, 2024, 4:09:29 PM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to Paul Mammina, MSSA

MSSA Racers,

Due to the middle ground night race also being canceled due to light weather. It was requested to call the distance race the rescheduled middle ground night race. After discussing this with the experts this will be done. This race will the long distance middle ground night race. It will count as a high point race but will not count toward the total number of qualifying races. The intention of not counting toward the total race number is to not negatively impact any boat who has a scheduling conflict.

I appreciate everyone's input on this and am grateful we are able rescheduled and even boost the number of boats that will race. Right now I known of 6 boats planning on racing. This is a great race to try out to get a feel for racing or sail at night time. It's amazing how different it feels once the sun sets while sailing.  Plus it's a full moon the day before the race, so it's the perfect weekend. Thank you to paul for point that out to me.

Kenneth Nilsen
MSSA Vice Commodore

Ted Turner

Jul 23, 2024, 4:31:57 PM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to vice.co...@mssa.org, Paul Mammina, MSSA

Ken,

Could you clarify who the experts are ?

Will the race be a distance race or a middle ground night race. And if it is a "night" race will the time be shifted to "night time".

Ted

S/V Anomaly

MSSA Vice Commodore

Jul 23, 2024, 7:21:53 PM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to Ted Turner, Paul Mammina, MSSA
Ted,

John and Audra are who I consulted, same as always since Ive taken the VC position so I consider them my "experts" on the matter of our rules and SI's. The race will be as stated, it will count as both races essentially. Both races were abandoned so no harm in trying to run them concurrently and still giving the awards. And no the start time will not be shifted to a later time. It will be at 5 pm, it will still be night time, and dark when most boats return home, its a Saturday and all who responded to my initial email had no issue with the 5pm start. I also texted all other racers who did not respond to my email looking for participation and feed back.

 Since I posted to FB and sent my emails stating the rescheduled time, I do not wish to add confusion by changing what was agreed upon.

Kenneth Nilsen
MSSA Vice Commodore