Literature status and Covid variants

wste...@williamstewart.com

Feb 23, 2021, 7:59:24 AM2/23/21
to mrnadiscuss

(Personal communication from Dr. Ulm follows in response to Shaw’s previous note, posted with Ulm’s permission.)

Though I'd managed to peruse some literature on lipid nanoparticles and trafficking across the blood-brain barrier (and other tight junction-protected critical tissues such as those behind the blood-testis and blood-follicle barriers), it was on a more general basis without much specific relevance per se to the Pfizer or Moderna LNPs and their pharmacokinetics.

The papers you've referenced provide a much more direct nexus to the concerns about tissue localization which I'd been formulating (for the BMJ Rapid Response and on Derek Lowe's blog on Science), and reinforce many of my suspicions that they indeed have the potential to cross the BBB.

My team has also recently learned that both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines appear to be (in general) ineffective against the South African variant and possibly against several of the other new strains; this would indicate a likely recommendation for booster injections, making it all the more essential to rigorously ascertain biodistribution patterns, given the elevated toxicity risk.

Given the scale of the mRNA vaccine rollout with so little attention (thus far) being paid to long-term safety issues of this nature, it's all the more essential to really get some solid data on this topic.