Where are stderr messages logged if not running on EMR?

Roving Richard

Apr 4, 2018, 3:33:06 PM4/4/18
to mrjob
I am having a really hard time debugging some MRJob scripts. I can troubleshoot errors if the job runs to completion, but my life would be much easier if I could just print() arbitrary outputs.

I found an old thread where someone said you can log using sys.stderr.write() (link: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mrjob/0VL02lfWTv0/qLoEQTvKwTkJ). The discussion says where log files are saved on EMR instances, but where are MRJob logs saved  on a local Linux system?

I've looked at the directories in the documentation (https://pythonhosted.org/mrjob/guides/configs-hadoopy-runners.html#option-hadoop_log_dirs ) under /var/ and /mnt/ without luck.

Damjan Krstajic

Oct 29, 2019, 6:22:21 PM10/29/19
to mrjob
I am having the same problem. I cannot find MRJob logs on a local Linux system. My colleague has informed me and I can confirm that logs are created during the execution and then after successful completion the folder containg them is automatically removed unless an error is detected.

Any advice?

Roving Richard

Oct 29, 2019, 6:34:40 PM10/29/19
to mrjob
I gave up and switched to PySpark and I am so glad I did.