detach terminal after submitting a long running job on EMR

Xuchen Yao

Sep 25, 2019, 11:33:24 PM9/25/19
to mrjob
Hi,

I use `python mrjob_script.py -r emr` to submit jobs to EMR. The script doesn't exit until all steps are executed. However the job takes days to finish, during which if I turn off my computer it'll stop the job. Is there a way to get around this? Thank you.

Xuchen

Ash

Sep 26, 2019, 1:39:43 AM9/26/19
to mr...@googlegroups.com
Use tmux

Kostikey Mustakas

Sep 26, 2019, 1:39:43 AM9/26/19
to mr...@googlegroups.com
Classic use for screen or tmux...

Xuchen Yao

Sep 26, 2019, 12:12:46 PM9/26/19
to mr...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is that I can use screen or tmux or nohup if I submitted the job on a long running server and only detach the terminal.

However in my scenario I'd submit the job from my laptop. Once I shutdown or put my laptop to sleep and come to work the next day: I can still resume the previous session, but the connection from mrjob to EMR ssh tunnel would be lost, and possibly on the EMR server the jobs will be stopped. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Kostikey Mustakas

Sep 26, 2019, 12:16:09 PM9/26/19
to mr...@googlegroups.com
How are you submitting the job? Are you just calling the script on an EMR edge node that you are sshed into?

Xuchen Yao

Sep 26, 2019, 12:20:43 PM9/26/19
to mr...@googlegroups.com
Nah I'm submitting from my laptop...

What's an EMR edge node? I can ssh to a master node. Should I submit on a master or an edge node?

Ash

Sep 26, 2019, 9:51:43 PM9/26/19
to mr...@googlegroups.com
If its an MR job that you submitted to AWS's EMR cluster (--runer=emr) from your laptop's terminal then you would just lose the ssh connection that mrjob maintains to the master node when you shut down. The actual MRJob would still be running if you look at the EMR console.
But if its an MRJob that you are running locally (--runner=local) then it will stop when you shutdown.