Re: [mqtt] announcement of another websocket - tcp bridge

Hiram Chirino

Jan 25, 2013, 6:06:22 PM1/25/13
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Is there a JS client that can use MQTT in the browser via web sockets?

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Stephan Wypler <stephan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there,

I'd like to share a websocket to TCP gateway I made some weeks ago.
It was developed to forward MQTT messages from a web application that uses mosquitto.js to the broker.
For each incoming websocket connection it establishes a new TCP connection to the destination. That makes each web app user appear as a new client to the broker.
It is a lightweight alternative to mod_websocket which requires the installation of lighttpd.
It uses boost::asio and runs on just a single thread which makes it suitable for low performance devices like the raspberry pi.

The source code and binaries for x86 and armhf are available at https://github.com/stylpen/WSS

Please feel free to comment and share your ideas.

Regards,
Stephan

To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org

Hiram Chirino

Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

hchi...@redhat.com | fusesource.com | redhat.com

blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo

Stephan Wypler

Jan 25, 2013, 6:16:19 PM1/25/13
to mq...@googlegroups.com, hi...@hiramchirino.com

Is there a JS client that can use MQTT in the browser via web sockets?

There is. Have a look at http://mqtt.org/software. You'll find mosquitto.js in the Javascript section.

Roger Light

Jan 25, 2013, 7:46:58 PM1/25/13
to mq...@googlegroups.com
That link is out of date, there is a 1.1 version now which matches the
details described here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Paho/Paho_Websockets

Andy, could you update the link to http://mosquitto.org/js/ please?

Cheers,

Roger

Hiram Chirino

Jan 25, 2013, 8:03:21 PM1/25/13
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Ah nice.. I did not know about http://mosquitto.org/js/mosquitto-1.1.js
I hope that file gets update to include a comment about how it's licensed.

To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org

Roger Light

Jan 26, 2013, 5:49:59 AM1/26/13
to mq...@googlegroups.com

Hiram,

Good point! It's the three clause BSD, same as the rest of mosquitto.

Cheers,

Roger

Hiram Chirino

Jan 27, 2013, 9:46:03 AM1/27/13
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Any chance you could get that included in the .js file?

Roger Light

Jan 27, 2013, 11:03:42 AM1/27/13
to mq...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> Any chance you could get that included in the .js file?

Sorted! (not in the min.js of course...)

Cheers,

Roger

Andy Piper

Jan 28, 2013, 9:43:08 AM1/28/13
to mq...@googlegroups.com, ro...@atchoo.org
I will update that...

*adds to increasingly-long mqtt.org todo list*

I was going to chip in and note that the mosquitto community (well, Roger *grin*) and the Paho team are keen to work together on things like websockets so that we have an agreed way forward on it, so it's a good idea to refer to
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Paho/Paho_Websockets

... as the basis for any work around MQTT and Websockets. Discussion welcome too, of course!

Thanks

Andy

Matteo Collina

Jan 28, 2013, 9:51:27 AM1/28/13
to mq...@googlegroups.com, ro...@atchoo.org
I believe a good way to start might be providing a reference client implementation on github,
so that can be useful for validating the brokers implementation of the spec.

What do you think?

2013/1/28 Andy Piper <andyp...@gmail.com>

I will update that...

*adds to increasingly-long mqtt.org todo list*

I was going to chip in and note that the mosquitto community (well, Roger *grin*) and the Paho team are keen to work together on things like websockets so that we have an agreed way forward on it, so it's a good idea to refer to
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Paho/Paho_Websockets

... as the basis for any work around MQTT and Websockets. Discussion welcome too, of course!

A good idea might be providing a library

Message has been deleted

Nicholas O'Leary

Feb 28, 2014, 7:00:41 PM2/28/14
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hi, this list is for the MQTT protocol, rather than support for individual implementations or other bits of code.

I suggest you raise on issue on the WSS tracker to get help for your specific problem - https://github.com/stylpen/WSS/issues

Regards,
Nick

On 28 February 2014 23:57, Szabi Garai <sza...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Stephan:
I would like to switch from mod_websocket and use your gateway.

I have built websocketpp following this link: https://github.com/zaphoyd/websocketpp/wiki/Build-on-debian

When I tried to build your gateway I ran into error.

Here are the last two lines of output:
WSS.cpp: ... : undefined reference to `websocketpp::processor::hybi_header::reset()'

Could you please give me some hint what to do next? I would really appreciate it

--
To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org
---