Subscribing to #/#

ನಾಗೇಶ್ ಸುಬ್ರಹ್ಮಣ್ಯ (Nagesh S)

Jul 24, 2012, 2:34:43 AM7/24/12
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Is #/# a valid topic string ?

The subscription to the topic string #/# on the Eclipse Paho broker is accepted. As per the spec, the # should be the last character in a topic string. This is true when subscribing to #/#. However, as # is a multiple level wild card, specifying #/# sounds redundant. For sake of testing, I subscribed to # and see many multi level topics and their payloads flowing in. But, with #/#, nothing.

I think, if # is used in topic string, then, it should be the only # character and must appear at the end of the topic string.

ನಾಗೇಶ್

Nicholas O'Leary

Jul 24, 2012, 3:19:52 AM7/24/12
to mq...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nagesh,

You are correct; there can be at most one # character and it must appear at the end.

#/# is not a valid subscription.

Regards,

To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org

cogitoergosum

Jul 24, 2012, 3:21:35 AM7/24/12
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Nick.

Roger Light

Jul 24, 2012, 5:52:09 AM7/24/12
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nagesh,

> The subscription to the topic string #/# on the Eclipse Paho broker is
> accepted.

> For sake of testing, I subscribed to # and see many multi level topics
> and their payloads flowing in. But, with #/#, nothing.

I believe that the broker is operating correctly here. The #/#
subscription is not being accepted internally, but there is currently
no mechanism to indicate a rejected subscription so the broker must
provide a positive response. That you are not seeing any messages to
that topic is an indication that you don't actually have a
subscription because the topic is invalid.

Cheers,

Roger

cogitoergosum

Jul 24, 2012, 8:44:14 AM7/24/12