RabbitMQ adds an MQTT adapter, and wiki updates

Andy Piper

Sep 12, 2012, 4:34:39 PM9/12/12
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to share the news that the RabbitMQ team have worked hard on a RabbitMQ adapter for MQTT. This means that a RabbitMQ broker can now act as an MQTT broker and also interchange between AMQP and MQTT. The code is available on Github https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-mqtt with an extensive blog post about the capabilities from Emile on the RabbitMQ blog http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/09/12/mqtt-adapter/

Do try it out and let the team know what you think! There are RabbitMQ package for many OSes and hopefully the MQTT adapter can start to be bundled with those in the future.

To go along with this new implementation, I've started to work on improving the Server capabilities page on the MQTT.org wiki to get better information about what the different MQTT brokers can do.

I know there are a couple of others to add there, like the MQTT.js broker, and I'd appreciate any help in filling in the blanks, too.

All of this, and some of the spec questions that have come up lately, point (again!) to the need to work together on:
a) cleaning up and clarifying the v3.1 spec - I guess this is something that IBM and/or Eclipse Paho need to republish in a new revision;
b) a protocol test suite that we can use to check brokers - I know mosquitto ships with a number of tests, and it would be good to see something like this extended to be independent of a broker implementation, and generally useful.

Andy

anku...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2014, 6:05:19 AM6/29/14
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,

I am working and using RabbitMQ as an MQTT broker. I have successfully used the MQTT plugin in non SSL mode using PAHO as the MQTT java client. But I am facing issues when I am trying connect in SSL mode using PAHO java client. I have informed the rabbitmq discuss team. As per them they successfully tested with ruby and python clients for Rabbitmq MQTT SSL but there is not test suite for PAHO java for the SSL part. I am facing issues like :

=ERROR REPORT==== 27-Jun-2014::14:55:49 ===
** Generic server <0.422.0> terminating
** Last message in was {go,#Port<0.14656>,#Fun<rabbit_networking.1.24135120>}
** When Server state == undefined
** Reason for termination ==
** {{badmatch,{error,{ssl_upgrade_error,timeout}}},
    [{rabbit_mqtt_reader,handle_call,3},
     {gen_server2,handle_msg,2},
     {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}

But I have tested the SSL configuration with Open SSL client. All seems well then.

If you can help in this regard please let me know.

Thanks Ankur.

Andy Piper

Jun 30, 2014, 5:43:39 AM6/30/14
to mq...@googlegroups.com
I suggest the best way forward is to raise a bug against the Paho project at Eclipse requesting test cases for SSL connections, and to take this discussion to the paho-dev mailing list where that team will be more able to assist you.

--
To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org
---

Andy Piper | Kingston upon Thames, London (UK)
blog: http://andypiper.co.uk   |   skype: andypiperuk
twitter: @andypiper  |  images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andypiper

Ian Craggs

Jun 30, 2014, 4:31:25 PM6/30/14
to mq...@googlegroups.com

Izak Smit

Jul 31, 2014, 12:11:45 PM7/31/14
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy

Very handy link on brokers details - thx for sharing.