New version of HiveMQ MQTT broker with open PluginSDK and native Websockets

Christian Götz

Aug 23, 2013, 9:10:32 AM8/23/13
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

just a quick notice on the newest version of the HiveMQ MQTT broker [1], because I think the features introduced in version 1.4 could be of interest to people on this list.

Since version 1.4 an open plugin SDK is available on GitHub [2], which enables everybody to write own plugins. With plugins it is possible to implement own authentication, authorization logic and to execute custom business logic on certain events (broker start/stop, client connect, client disconnect, publish message, subscribe message , ...).  We also open sourced a sample plugin [3] for reference and a Maven plugin [4] for a better development experience. More plugins [5] will be following in the next few weeks.

Since 1.4 HiveMQ is supporting native websockets, which means every web browser can communicate with the broker over MQTT without an extra webserver. Our public broker at mqttdashboard.com already supports this. If somebody want to try it, server is broker.mqttdashboard.com and port for websockets is 8000.

More insights can be found in the release blog post [6] and the documentation [7].
HiveMQ is free for personal use and testing until 25 simultaneously connected clients. If you want to use it in a cool open source project, please contact me, I'm sure we can work out a suitable solution.

Also if you have any questions, suggestion or other feedback, please don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Best regards,

Christian Götz