IR Remote functionality

st...@marshallarts.com.au

Jun 16, 2024, 3:04:02 AMJun 16
to MppDevices
Hi All.  Has anyone done any work on making a device which can act as an IR remote?  I know there is the MppIrRC6 device in Mike's ecosystem, but that looks to me like it's the other way around - it allows an IR remote to control Mpp devices.  I want an Mpp device to BE an IR remote.  Background - I've just had a Fujitsu reverse-cycle aircon installed.  I could have bought it with WiFi functionality, but the installer advised against it, he seemed to think it wasn't a very good implementation. Even if it worked OK, it would almost certainly have required cloud connection, which I don't like much.

So, what I'd like is simply to be able to turn it on/off remotely, and maybe change other modes too - heat/cool, fan speed etc.  Naturally I thought of an Mpp device.  I've seen the Sensibo devices which basically do this, but they definitely work via the cloud, and only via the cloud as far as I can see.  I don't mind forwarding a port for something like this, but I don't like a permanent connection from my network to the cloud.

I have a spare Wemos D1 Mini lying around, so have ordered an IR transceiver shield for it with the intention of doing some experimentation.  I guess I should start by examining the code for the MppIrRC6 device, and even install and run it on the Wemos, I think it should allow me to see what codes the handheld remote generates for each button.  I've done a few code mods to Mpp devices before, but fairly minor.  Any advice much appreciated.

DougC

Jun 16, 2024, 2:43:55 PMJun 16
to MppDevices
I mucked around with this 4 or more years ago. There was some discussion here iirc. I took some sample IRrepeater code and merged in the basic Mpp bits to get a standalone device that could transmit / receive / repeat IR signals and also communicate these decoded messages into Automation Manager or conversely take commands from Automation Manager to generate IR. My memory is a bit vague on this (bit vague about everything these days tbh). I never completed the project but have dug out the original breadboard which still, remarkably, works.  I've not done any customisations for years and I realise that none of what I did back then would recompile with current versions. I'll see if I can wake the old brain up...

trogli...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2024, 2:24:46 PMJun 17
to MppDevices

Right, what I did with IrRC6 was a proof of concept – it uses a library to receive the signal and make it available for use in AM as a value event (the command).  The idea is that yes, you can use those IR devices to receive and send IR messages.

I’d already played around with it on the PC to automate turning on a TV, sound system, etc and it works well – tho more modern devices don’t need it anymore…  It’s certainly possible to send IR from an MPP device.  The tricky part is the protocol, there’s a few and it’s hard to know which one applies, and then which command you want to send over IR.  I’d have a look at the available Arduino libraries to see what they have, and I’d probably use IRRemote in a PC to figure out the protocol and the commands.