Boo! Anyone out there? LOL!

myview

May 23, 2009, 11:23:59 PM5/23/09
to mpolitics
No new post in a while.

I have been on a planting marathon. All 40 tomato plants in, most of
the seeds and half of the pepper plants. Ran over to Lowes and seen
some plants I couldn't be without. You know not enough of a good
thing going yet. I thought they were 6 packs, but turned out to be 9
in each An extra 72 plants. Oops! LOL! Okay waste not, I till
another area huge area of the yard. Hate mowing anyway and who needs
grass, when there's veggies and flowers to be grown. LOL!

Hope everyone enjoying to weather. Beats the snow by a mile.

mdancer

May 27, 2009, 9:59:41 PM5/27/09
to mpolitics
Yeah, no new posts for a long time! Where is everyone??? Probably as
busy as I've been. Not a lot of onlinetime lately.

I've also been planting, but I don't have as big of a garden as you
do. 40 tomatoes? You must can 'em. Still have some posies to plant
once the tulips go kaput but the vegetables are IN. What plants did
you find that you "couldn't be without"??

1 Early Girl tomato
1 Cherry Tomato
16 yellow bell peppers (they do the best and I freeze them)
4 sweet banana peppers (we eat those fresh and save the bells for the
freezer)
4 "Giant" bell peppers (an experiment! They're supposed to get 5")
Pole beans
Carrots
Spinach
Canteloupe
Raspberries and strawberries

Kids are shutting down their College Apartment in Allendale and I've
been doing "combat laundry"~all the bedding. Hanging on the line and
putting in "blanket bags" (the ones with the zippers) so hopefully
they'll still smell great in August when they move back. And being the
nice momma I am, I helped them combat clean the apartment (besides, I
fronted the deposit, I'll make SURE I get 100% of that deposit
back!!!)

Starting Spring Cleaning here since the rain knocked down the
pollen----hopefully. Saving the windows for last, trying to hit that
fine line between Spring Pollen and Summer dust.

Lake Shore Girl

May 28, 2009, 9:47:19 AM5/28/09
to mpolitics
Hey there! I'm also in "busy" mode and doing spring cleaning in
anticipation of a possible move. I tend to write longer posts on this
website, so I haven't been sitting down and just doing it.

I'm not growing anything, but reading everyone else's posts about
gardening I find that I miss having a tomato plant or two. I can do
without anything else, but there is nothing like growing your own vine-
ripe tomatoes. I grew up in the country, and my father always had a
garden that was, like, an ACRE, and I'm not exaggerating, so growing
veggies is equivalent in my mind to doing a lot of unpleasant work.
(I spent time in the summer working for a farmer, too.) I'd still
love tomatoes, though.

When I first moved to the Muskegon area I planted a garden that
featured 3 zucchini plants. I had so many zucchini that I felt like
Forrest Gump's friend Bubba did about shrimp: I made fried zucchini,
steamed zucchini, stuffed zucchini, zucchini spaghetti, zucchini
bread.... you get the idea. Looking back, I think I remember that my
father used to give zucchini away by the grocery sack. Perhaps part
of the appeal of his gigantic garden was about the bonding you do with
people on whom you gift produce. (I remember one year he had a bumper
crop of sweet corn, and gave a couple of bushel to a near-destitute
family who had multiple children that we played with. They were still
thanking us years later, or at least the oldest son, who was my age
and far more responsible than his beer-guzzling father, was.)

With the looming potential move, I'm probably not even going to grow a
tomato in a pot--although thinking about it, I bet the TallCoolOne
would let me put a tomato in a pot on his back porch if I asked him
nicely.

Have to run now, much to do. Have a great day everyone!

myview

May 28, 2009, 10:26:09 PM5/28/09
to mpolitics
I made alot of different sauces with the tomatoes, stew tomatoes, and
salsa and freeze in pint and quart containers. I did a fair share of
canning when I was younger and its not my cup of tea. Freezing is so
much easier. On the extras I have several elderly neighbors that I
supply fresh veggies to, and few family members.

On what I couldn't be without - found 2 different type of hot peppers
and one sweet pepper than what I had already. Found some nice herbs.
Also was luck to locate my favorite green onions in seed - only 70
days to maturity. Six different types of annuals to mix in with my
perennials and urns in the front. All was good till I noted there was
no room in my perennial beds. Oops. Lastly a nine pack of Better boy
tomato plants to replace the failed seeds. First time thats every
happen - none of the seeds germinated.

40 tomato - early girl, better boy, better bush, and red cherry
46 peppers - bonnie green bells, red bells, habanero, jalapeno, super
chilis, banana, cayenne
spacesaver cucumbers
summer squash
zucchini
string beans
sweet snap peas/snow pea
beets
radish
leaf lettuce
sweet corn
green onions
carrots

On apartments boy does that sound familiar. I fronted my daughter's
deposit money on her previous apartment and had to go into combat mod
cleaning to get the money back. My daughter's idea of clean, well
it's clean not. LOL! I ended up steam cleaning all the carpets. I
washed down all cabinets inside and out and all the mop boards. I
mopped floors. I cleaned the stove and refrigerator. Even paid for
extra stickers on trash and bagged it. But I made her clean the
bathroom. LOL!

Well spent the day inside for a change and kitchen gone a redo. Pull
everything from the cabinets and wash them down inside and out. Put in
new shelf liners. Washed and ironed the curtains. Filled the trash
can several times junk food - open in what year? Filled a box with
stuff I don't need and will never use going to goodwill. Was a good
day! :)

On May 27, 9:59 pm, mdancer <eb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hope everyone enjoying to weather.  Beats the snow by a mile.- Hide quoted text -

mdancer

May 28, 2009, 11:32:25 PM5/28/09
to mpolitics
LSG, you gotta bring a patio tomato over to TCO's apartment! LOL on
the zucchini. You never grow more than one plant! :D When the kids
were little, we always let one zucchini grow into a baseball bat, just
to see how big it would get. They got a huge kick out of it.

Myview, if you still freeze tomatoes, next year try Roma Tomatoes.
They make the best sauces as they're real meaty and they ripen all at
once so preserving is a snap. I also tried the canning route but
agree that freezing is so much easier.

When I get too much produce I bring it to our local Senior Center.
Ohboy, do they love my extras!!!

Been there done that with the flowers. Walking around the yard with a
package of posies looking for a place to PUT THEM! Have a couple
trays on my back porch waiting for the tulips to go kaput.

LOL on your Daughter's view of clean......sounds just like my
Daughter! She is such a slob. She IS a good clutter-picker-upper
though, and that's a job I hate. Gimme a scrub brush! Son inherited
a little OCD/ADD from me so once he actually gets a rag in his hand,
he is a cleaning machine. Trick is to get him started!!

Good days to combat clean with the weather being so crappy. Tomorrow
will be a laundry marathon as its actually supposed to dry out. I try
to line dry but I did end up washing a load of towels today out of
necessity. Forgot how long towels take in the dryer!!

myview

May 29, 2009, 10:07:30 PM5/29/09
to mpolitics
Lake Shore Girl,

Grow a tomato in a pot. Enjoy! It will be easy enough to move.

Lake Shore Girl

May 30, 2009, 10:42:41 AM5/30/09
to mpolitics
I think I will!

So, TCO says to me last night, in an indecipherable tone of voice,
"So, I hear you're bringing me a tomato in a pot."

ROFLAMO!

(Wait, I know now that he might be reading this! Maybe I should have
threatened to plant zucchini in his yard!)

mdancer

May 30, 2009, 3:21:23 PM5/30/09
to mpolitics
:D Ohyeahhhhh, threaten zucchini and TCO will welcome a potted tomato
with open arms! :D

Ugh. Did FIVE loads of laundry yesterday...managed to fit them all on
the line, though.

Got a broken bale of straw from Marty at the Feedstore (free!!) and
mulched the vegetable garden.

Played around with hanging my baskets from the pine tree branches.
Need to get one shepherds hook to make it look "balanced". Dang,
they're expensive! But Weesies Plant farm has 'em for half the price
of Pamida.

Hubby mowed the back yard after considering renting a baler :D when
the grass finally dried out and I turned the compost pile, adding the
grass clippings to it. And of course, what the haaaail is it doing
today AGAIN.......humph. Getting tired of rain.

myview

May 31, 2009, 12:56:27 AM5/31/09
to mpolitics
I have been dealing with a pestie squirrel this week. He dug up the
last roll that had beets seeds in. GRRRRRRRRRRRR! So I said fine and
start dig up a row in front end of the garden. Darn thing came to
where I was digging with an attitude, so I hit with a shovel full of
dirt and went back to what I was doing. Later on I was moving the
sprinkler to the right area, again he up in my face. So I swatted him
with the sprinkler. He spent the next two hours chattering at me from
a tree while I was finishing up weeding the flower beds. I didn't see
him today. I'm hoping he has left.