plugin to force client to give media titles on upload?

barbara schendel

Nov 10, 2023, 12:48:54 PM11/10/23
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Hey all! I have a few clients who just cannot seem to wrap their heads around the concept of giving good titles to images that they upload. Every single thing they upload is called something like IMG-4632, or worse, 359777804_10224667912026302_2484661035542831256_n! NOT helpful when trying to find it later!

I am searching for a plugin that forces the user to give a useful title immediately on upload, but am not having any luck with a google search. Anybody on this list know of something like this?

Thanks!
~barbara~

Jodi Stammer

Nov 11, 2023, 1:14:56 AM11/11/23
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com

Hi Barbara:

I’ve used the Pro version of Media File Renamer in the past – it’s pretty good! They now apparently have the ability to use AI to generate filenames. I haven’t tried it, but it sounds intriguing – and definitely better than 359777804_10224667912026302_2484661035542831256_n!

https://wordpress.org/plugins/media-file-renamer/

Jodi Stammer
Graphic & Web Designer
Uncorked Design LLC

jodi.s...@comcast.net
763-954-0820

David A

Nov 11, 2023, 3:11:51 AM11/11/23
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Did you try FileBird?  I do not remember if you can configure the title. Good Luck.

Barbara Schendel-Kent

Nov 11, 2023, 11:24:01 AM11/11/23
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jodi, yeah I saw that one but from the video it looked like it renames the file based on the title (which assumes/requires there is a decent title) My clients don’t do either filename OR title…… but the AI thing has potential, I might try this out (or contact them) to see if it does what I need. Thanks for the lead!

Toby C

Nov 11, 2023, 12:08:33 PM11/11/23
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
If you can convince them to upload files via Gravity Forms, you could require all the fields...

Toby

Barbara Schendel-Kent

Nov 15, 2023, 4:15:29 PM11/15/23
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Yeah that Gravity forms idea is tempting!
In case anybody else has this issue, I emailed the plugin developer for Media File Renamer and there is a pro update currently in the works which will rename files based on the content of the post it's attached to. That functionality is not released yet, and he does not know when exactly it will be coming out, but it's worth keeping an eye out for when it does!

Jodi Stammer

Mar 11, 2024, 6:19:34 AMMar 11
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Old thread, but I was revisiting this for a new build. It turns out I wasn't using the pro version of Media File Renamer, but instead it's Image Attributes Pro which does rename based on post title!
https://imageattributespro.com/

Jodi

Barbara Schendel-Kent

Mar 11, 2024, 9:56:37 AMMar 11
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jodi! Thank you for the update! I will check this out and see if it gets any closer to what we need...

Jodi Stammer

Mar 20, 2024, 9:51:29 PMMar 20
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com

After this conversation, I purchased the Media File Renamer Pro for the AI renaming. It was pretty confusing at first, but I think I got it worked out and their support was very helpful. They’ve since reorganized some things to make it more intuitive and it looks like they now have the ability to rename based on post title!

I think one of the major areas of confusion was the files were automatically being renamed using embedded metadata and I thought it was AI doing it. Since not all files had metadata, it seemed inconsistent.

Jodi

Barbara Schendel-Kent

Mar 21, 2024, 8:32:09 AMMar 21
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jodi, that sounds powerful! Thanks for the report! :)