Any Cookie consent manager plugin recommendations

Mark Gason

Jul 18, 2024, 2:31:45 AM (9 days ago) Jul 18
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Hi gang,
I am looking for a cookie consent manager plugin or service. The site has a little under 100,000 page views per month and being woocommerce has about 1,000 pages.
Pricing as usual is an issue. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?
Thanks in advance from downunder.

Mark Gason

Jul 20, 2024, 4:56:02 AM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
So I guess the consent manager is not so popular in the US? It is of course law in some countries. My understanding is that a lack of one will seriously impact your google ratings.

Toby C

Jul 20, 2024, 8:16:54 AM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I don't think the cookie consent stuff has fully hit home here in the USA, at least on small business websites.  I'm sure it's coming, though.  I would also like to hear people's recommendations for plugins/services.  One of the big corporate sites I worked on this year used https://www.onetrust.com/.

Toby

Eric Schmid

Jul 20, 2024, 3:32:58 PM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Are you looking for something more than just a popup/banner that notifies a user that the site uses/gathers cookies the first time a person visits a website?  I have used https://wordpress.org/plugins/cookie-notice/ before.

Nick Ciske

Jul 20, 2024, 3:42:18 PM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
It’s very much an ignorance thing — multiple US states now have laws that go beyond just “cookie notices” and require disclosure of and adherence to reasonable privacy policies regarding PII data collected from users. GDPR style privacy laws are here, it’s just not widely distributed yet.

The California AG successfully sued Sephora and settled out of court for $$$ which put it on the radar of large corporations, but many SMBs are not aware they could be sued/fined if they fail to be compliant (especially under the “don’t sell my info” law in CA).

But most SMBs are not WCAG compliant either… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are plugins but they often leave a lot to be desired and don’t allow you to tailor things to the locale (EU, CA, other).

OneTrust is the big player here but is spendy. There are smaller/cheaper options that are managed services and track consent (something that could easily be wiped out in a WP DB by accident).

_________________________
Nick Ciske
CTO/CISO | LuminFire

Mark Gason

Jul 25, 2024, 7:09:31 AM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Thanks everyone,
yes some of them are extremely spendy. Tech created a problem selling our data, gets legislated and then makes even more money supposedly conforming with the law to protect our data.
My client has suggested this one, a decision based on recommendations online PLUS of course $$
Does anyone have any thoughts or insights on that choice?

Nick Ciske

Jul 25, 2024, 9:06:04 AM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Looks like a solid option.

Illow has a free tier that would work for many sites: https://illow.io/pricing/

_________________________
Nick Ciske
CTO/CISO | LuminFire
On Jul 25, 2024 at 6:09 AM -0500, mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com, wrote:
Thanks everyone,
yes some of them are extremely spendy. Tech created a problem selling our data, gets legislated and then makes even more money supposedly conforming with the law to protect our data.
My client has suggested this one, a decision based on recommendations online PLUS of course $$
Does anyone have any thoughts or insights on that choice?

Matt @ GEEK with a personality

Jul 25, 2024, 11:19:35 AM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
I've used Complianz on a few sites and works well and pricing seems reasonable: https://complianz.io/pricing/

Best!
Matt
---

Matt Christenson
GEEK, with a personality

WordPress Website Design, Graphic Design, SEO, Training, Maintenance, and Hosting
GEEKwap.com
Schedule a Phone Call with the GEEK!
Connect with the GEEK!
Like and Follow the GEEK!