How to put a javascript mini-game on the "Briefly unavailable..." screen?

Toby

Oct 6, 2022, 4:23:53 PM10/6/22
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Hi WP friends!  Just thinking through a proof-of-concept here...

There is this old Nintendo hockey game called "Blades of Steel" that used to have an Asteroids-like game/Easter egg in between periods (a Gradius mini-game, actually).  I remember looking forward to the mini-game as much as playing the actual game - it actually caused some fights amongst us kids, because only one person could play the mini-game.  Anyway...

When you are in the process of updating WP plugins and try to visit a page, it displays the wp_die() function that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 3.12.46 PM.png

Hypothetically, assuming I had a little javascript-based mini-game available, what are some options for placing said game in place of the "Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance..." text?  For example, is it even possible to filter the wp_die() function?  If not, can you think of other ways to achieve a similar result?  Also, know anyone who might be interested in going down this rabbit hole with me?

Toby

Nick Ciske

Oct 6, 2022, 5:18:36 PM10/6/22
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/hooks/wp_die_handler/ might work, but might also escape any output….

Nick Ciske
CTO/CISO
Nick Ciske Photo Luminfire.com
nick....@luminfire.com
Custom technology solutions that make businesses more effective, productive, and profitable.
On Oct 6, 2022, 3:23 PM -0500, Toby <tcr...@gmail.com>, wrote:
[...]

Nick Pelton

Oct 6, 2022, 5:23:37 PM10/6/22
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Looks like this will do what you want. Then you can load any template and code you like.

- Nick P

Toby C

Oct 7, 2022, 10:52:27 AM10/7/22
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Awesome. Thanks, Nick and Nick!

Toby