Looking for Recommendations for High-End Webhost

petervan...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2021, 1:02:10 PM3/3/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Hi all,

I have a WP site with some pretty intense requirements that I'm looking for a webhost for.  Currently, I'm on Kinsta, but am finding their pricing model pretty inflexible.  I'm looking into competitors, but so far haven't been able to turn up anything super promising.  I'm looking for something with high-end optimization features like HyperDB and Redis integration.

Here's what I've looked into so far and my thoughts.  I'm hoping someone else has an option that I've missed.

WPengine
Seems like they might have similar bottlenecks to Kinsta, though this might be what I try next.  I also feel like they might have jumped the shark, their tech support has gotten really slow.

I've also looked at Pantheon, Pressable, Flywheel, and lower-tier hosts like SiteGround and these were either too expensive or didn't have advanced features.  I'm hoping to spend about $300/mo.

I might end up going the AWS or Digital Ocean route but am fairly intimidated by that process.

Anyone know of any other managed hosts that I should be looking at?

- Peter

David Paul Ellenwood

Mar 4, 2021, 9:07:41 AM3/4/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Hi Peter,

From my experience, most of the managed hosts have pretty similar specs and pricing these days and they all get a bit limiting when a particular site traffic pattern or architecture doesn't fit within one of their preexisting "buckets". You could explore enterprise level offerings from WP Engine, but the costs for those start around $600/month last time I checked with them.

I would recommend going directly to Digital Ocean (or AWS/Linode/etc). You'll be able to handle a lot more traffic with your own server(s) for less cost. As you alluded to, the trade off to "rolling your own" is the lack of the management and support layers. I use spinupwp.com (from the makers of WP Migrate DB and other quality plugins in the WP space). SpinUpWP provides a number of those management layer features on top of your own cloud servers. It handles provisioning the servers and sites, backups, etc like you get from a managed hosts. You just pay for the underlying servers directly from the cloud provider of your choice.  I've been using it for the last couple years and have no desire to go back to managed hosting. There's not really a replacement for the support you get from a managed host, so there is definitely that risk to consider.

I'd be happy to provide a consultation about how you might want to provision servers specifically for this client via email or a phone call too. Hit me up via a DM or email if you're interested.

Maryann King

Mar 4, 2021, 11:51:50 AM3/4/21
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com, David Paul Ellenwood

ever thought about Pantheon?

---
Maryann King
emkay & co freelance graphic design
  providing print, presentation, video and web
www.emkayandco.com
720 West 4th Street
Monticello, MN  55362
cell: 612-747-5160
fax: 612-235-3327

Proud sponsor of 2019 Twin Cities Drupal Camp
- You don't want to miss it: https://2019.tcdrupal.org

Eric Celeste

Mar 4, 2021, 12:27:00 PM3/4/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
I would second Peter's suggestion of using SpinUpWP to facilitate using Linode or Digital Ocean directly. We do this for a number of clients and have been very impressed with the results. SpinUpWP and Linode have both provided us with excellent service. We are very comfortable managing the servers directly, so keep that in mind. Also note that this solution does not provide for email. We use Mailgun for transactional email and help clients set up Zoho for regular email.

...Eric

Eric Celeste  /  e...@tenseg.net  /  https://tenseg.net  /  651-323-2009

Peter VanKoughnett

Mar 4, 2021, 3:12:39 PM3/4/21
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I think SpinUpWP looks like it might be an excellent fit for us.

dar...@hbi.com

May 25, 2021, 11:32:51 AM5/25/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group

Hi Peter,

Have you check out Strattic?