W9 for plugin purchase?

barbara schendel

Jan 5, 2023, 11:13:25 AM1/5/23
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Hey all! Happy new year.

I have a plugin that I sell online, and I have a guy who is insisting on a W9 in order to purchase. This feels sketchy to me. The cost of the plugin is way below the government's $600 limit (above which W9s are required). Also, this is just a piece of software they are buying, I am not being personally hired by them.

Does anyone else sell plugins, and if so how do you handle requests for W9s? My W9 has my EIN (not my personal SSN) but still, it has my home address and business info so I don't like to give that out to just anyone. What do you think, am I being unduly paranoid?

Thanks!
~barbara~

Toby C

Jan 5, 2023, 12:13:00 PM1/5/23
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Barbara, I wouldn't send your W9.  At best, it seems like someone is being overly-diligent, because, as you said, the government doesn't need a W9 in this case.

Toby

barbara schendel

Jan 5, 2023, 12:35:22 PM1/5/23
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Toby and Aaron, you've confirmed my skepticism. It also occurred to me that because this is just a software purchase, there is no way they are asking for W9s from Microsoft or Adobe before buying their software, so this is at best, totally unnecessary and at worst, very suspect. So I (again) declined.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!