Flint-2.6.0 alpha release (testing requested)

Bill Hart

May 14, 2020, 12:52:05 PM5/14/20
to flint-devel, nemo-devel, sage-...@googlegroups.com, osca...@mathematik.uni-kl.de, mpir-devel
Hi all,

The (latest) commit c6319d1d36248f2fc699e833ab2f6fa70d21e906 in the
official Flint repository [1] is flint-2.6.0-alpha1.

This is an opportunity for early testing and feedback before our first
official beta which will be released about Wednesday next week.

Some release tasks have not yet been done [2] and will follow in the
next few days, but shouldn't affect very much.

However, we might slip in some more deprecations before the beta
cycle, though the old function names will continue to be available
until the next release. Please report if you find this is not the
case.

Please place bug reports in GitHub issues. Successful builds can be
reported here.

A full release announcement of all new contributors and features will
be made when the new release is finally issued.

Best Wishes,

The Flint Development Team.

[1] https://github.com/wbhart/flint2
[2] https://github.com/wbhart/flint2/milestone/2

P.S Here is how I configure and build Flint for my system:

./configure --prefix=/home/wbhart/usr/ --with-gmp=/home/wbhart/usr
--with-mpfr=/home/wbhart/usr/
make -j install
make -j check

Bill Hart

May 20, 2020, 12:40:30 PM5/20/20
to flint-devel, nemo-devel, sage-...@googlegroups.com, osca...@mathematik.uni-kl.de, mpir-devel
Hi again,

Commit a960857c7d8e5ea7c4d4c2958e38ec52778d85d9 of the Flint
repository [1] is now flint-2.6.0-alpha2

This is the last chance for developers working on related projects to
see if Flint works as expected for them, before we start asking end
users/distributions to start testing.

We have made many modifications since alpha1, including:

* removing all known memory leaks
* fixing a bug in the integer gcd (leak, inefficiency, very slim
chance of wrong answer)
* properly supporting GMP-6.2
* making matrices with zero rows/columns more robust
* many other less important fixes (35 commits total)
* fixing a bug/crash in the _f functions in the fmpz_mod_poly module

We don't foresee the need for any further alpha releases, (assuming no
major issues are found). The next release will likely either be a beta
or release candidate. Please note the only important things that
remain to be done as far as we know are documentation/paperwork
related [2].

Please report bugs on our GitHub issue tracker. Successful builds can
be reported here.

Best Wishes,

The Flint Development Team

P.S. thanks to the Flint package maintainer in the Fedora project who
did early reporting/patching of many issues and to the numerous people
who gave feedback on the first alpha! Many more acknowledgements to
come in the release announcement!

Brian Gladman

May 20, 2020, 2:27:40 PM5/20/20
to mpir-...@googlegroups.com
On 20/05/2020 17:40, 'Bill Hart' via mpir-devel wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Commit a960857c7d8e5ea7c4d4c2958e38ec52778d85d9 of the Flint
> repository [1] is now flint-2.6.0-alpha2
>
> This is the last chance for developers working on related projects to
> see if Flint works as expected for them, before we start asking end
> users/distributions to start testing.

I tested the release (that you announced recently) on Windows (with my
Visual Studio build) and all tests passed.

I can't test the new release immediately but I will hopefully be able to
check it within the next few days.

> We have made many modifications since alpha1, including:
>
> * removing all known memory leaks
> * fixing a bug in the integer gcd (leak, inefficiency, very slim
> chance of wrong answer)
> * properly supporting GMP-6.2
> * making matrices with zero rows/columns more robust
> * many other less important fixes (35 commits total)
> * fixing a bug/crash in the _f functions in the fmpz_mod_poly module
>
> We don't foresee the need for any further alpha releases, (assuming no
> major issues are found). The next release will likely either be a beta
> or release candidate. Please note the only important things that
> remain to be done as far as we know are documentation/paperwork
> related [2].

The Visual Studio build documentation is out of date and we now have the
CMake build on Windows that needs documentation.

I am happy to provide an update of the Visual Studio build documentation
but I can't help with CMake.

Brian

Bill Hart

May 20, 2020, 2:33:11 PM5/20/20
to mpir-devel
I will leave it to the CMake people to document it if they want to.
I've made it clear I'm not the maintainer of the CMake build.

Documentation still remains to be done, so an update on the Visual
Studio build would be most appreciated. All that documentation will go
into .rst files, but if you send it to me in text format I can do the
conversion to .rst.

Bill.

Dima Pasechnik

May 21, 2020, 6:31:54 AM5/21/20
to mpir-...@googlegroups.com, flint-devel, nemo-devel, sage-...@googlegroups.com, osca...@mathematik.uni-kl.de
On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 5:40 PM 'Bill Hart' via mpir-devel
<mpir-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Commit a960857c7d8e5ea7c4d4c2958e38ec52778d85d9 of the Flint
> repository [1] is now flint-2.6.0-alpha2
>
> This is the last chance for developers working on related projects to
> see if Flint works as expected for them, before we start asking end
> users/distributions to start testing.
>
> We have made many modifications since alpha1, including:
>
> * removing all known memory leaks
> * fixing a bug in the integer gcd (leak, inefficiency, very slim
> chance of wrong answer)
> * properly supporting GMP-6.2
> * making matrices with zero rows/columns more robust
> * many other less important fixes (35 commits total)
> * fixing a bug/crash in the _f functions in the fmpz_mod_poly module

OK, so now it passes on everything I tried it on (most exotic:
clang-8.0.1 on OpenBSD, with NTL enabled)
Will now try to test it with Sage (https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29719)