MPIR status and 'raison d'être'

Fabio Eduardo

Dec 23, 2021, 11:50:02 PM12/23/21
to mpir-devel
Hi all, I have asked about the development and support status of MPIR on StackOverflow, but no answers from there, so It was suggested to me to ask here.

I ask for what were the reasons to branch from GMP in the first place, and if there's functionality (besides running on Windows) in MPIR that is not in GMP.

My point is, given all effort put into MPIR, did you ever consider to merge back important developments of MPIR into GMP?

Thanks,
Fabio

Bill Hart

Dec 23, 2021, 11:54:50 PM12/23/21
to mpir-devel
MPIR is no longer maintained for years now.

You would have to ask the maintainer(s) of GMP about "merging developments" back into GMP; we have no say in that. I doubt they would be interested. Either way, there are no plans to do so.

Bill Hart

Dec 23, 2021, 11:57:02 PM12/23/21
to mpir-devel
I might mention that, as far as I know, Brian Gladman still maintains a version of MPIR on Windows. You can check his home page for information on this.