Do I have to use CygWin or the like to install MPIR on Windows?

zzzhhh

Oct 7, 2019, 4:52:41 AM10/7/19
to mpir-devel
As title. I think 1) There should be a CMakeFiles.txt in MPIR downloaded package that makes MPIR automatically work on whatever platform that CMake supports. 2) If not, it's ok to open the provided VS solution and build MPIR. But the consequence is a lot of errors inside Visual Studio. 3) Why not just provide a one-fits-all (or at least 90%) pre-compiled binary for Windows? It doesn't make too much sense for many different users to compile the same source again and again in different part of the planet but get exactly the same output. 4) just a personal opinion, Windows is Windows. Linux is Linux. If one have to use Linux, why not go straightly to Linux (dual system, VMware workstation, or just a stand-alone Linux machine) but use CygWin in Windows? I don't understand. 5) I've read the manual. It seems to me only changed all GMP to MPIR, all Linux stuff. command lines, strange options, so I still don't know how to install MPIR.

So, do I have to use CygWin or the like to install MPIR?

Cactus

Oct 7, 2019, 7:49:28 AM10/7/19
to mpir-devel
You have two options if you wish to use MPIR on Windows.

You can use the Linux repository, (https://github.com/wbhart/mpir) in which case you will need to have cygwin or mingw installed (the 32 or 64 bit versions or both depending on your needs)

Or you can use the Windows repository (https://github.com/BrianGladman/mpir) in which case you need to have a version of Microsoft Visual Studio installed.

I maintain the Windows repository and you can report any errors in building MPIR with Visual Studio on the GitHub MPIR repository, where I will do what I can to help.

   Brian Gladman

zzzhhh

Oct 7, 2019, 9:17:54 PM10/7/19
to mpir-devel
I am using the second option, the BrianGladman repository. I have Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 installed on Windows 10, so I go to mpir-master\msvc\vs15 and double click mpir.sln to open it. However, when I tried to build lib_mpir_cxx project, VS complains that it can't find mpir.h. I searched the whole rep but there is no mpir.h header file at all, so I guess I have to do some configuration to setup and generate mpir.h using cygwin before compiling in VS.Did I miss anything to use VS project files directly?

Benjie Lu

Jul 7, 2020, 1:22:49 AM7/7/20
to mpir-devel
I am doing the same thing now, on windows 10 , visual studio C++ 2019. do you make any progress or have anything to share ?   Thank you.