Cobrapin neoseg displays

Todd Legere

Feb 15, 2023, 9:31:08 PM2/15/23
to MPF Users
Today I just received my neoseg displays from the kickstarter... Hurray.

I have my virtual ubuntu machine all fired up to test my new displays.

My lab machine is running ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I have my two STM32 connected but they are not mounted in a cobrapin board (Guess I need to add a 3rd cobrapin board to the collection).

ran my mpf hardware scan and my virtual machine see my two stm32.

Now I need to read up on what ports on stm32 to connect up the neosegs and set up my new virtual pinball machine config.

cobra18t

Feb 16, 2023, 1:58:35 AM2/16/23
to MPF Users
They connect to either one of your serial LED outputs. They can exist in a chain with normal serial LEDs as well. Check out the guide and example here: https://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/hardware/opp/cobrapin/cobrapin_serial_segment_displays.html

Todd Legere

Feb 16, 2023, 6:15:30 AM2/16/23
to MPF Users
Thanks for the link cobra, on the cobrapin board there are two led ports, they trace back to the actual stm32 cpu. Since my lab machine is two stm32 board and no cobrapin board, I am looking to see which pin I need to connect to test the segment display.

Todd Legere

Feb 16, 2023, 6:22:33 AM2/16/23
to MPF Users
Ok I see I asked the same question June 11, 2021 for the neopixels.  I think it was port B15

Todd Legere

Feb 16, 2023, 6:25:23 AM2/16/23
to MPF Users
Quote from thread "The neopixel data output pin is labeled B15 on the board (also referred to as MOSI2 in pinouts)."

cobra18t

Feb 17, 2023, 11:04:39 AM2/17/23
to MPF Users
Yes, if you are checking the serial LED data output on the STM32 processor board, that pin is labeled B15. For connecting to serial LEDs and/or NeoSeg displays, J11 and J12 on the CobraPin main board are the connectors to use.

Todd Legere

Feb 18, 2023, 7:24:03 AM2/18/23
to MPF Users
Opps, 1 more question should I be using mpf v0.57 to get the most out off neoseg ?

cobra18t

Feb 18, 2023, 11:35:28 AM2/18/23
to MPF Users
The released MPF 0.56 and later will work just fine.

If you get complaints from MPF saying it doesn't know what neosegs are, you need a newer version.

Todd Legere

Jul 16, 2023, 1:00:49 PM7/16/23
to MPF Users
Is there a tutorial on the setup for hardware config and the neoseg_display kinda like the demo man tutorial the runs thru set up and a demo example

Todd Legere

Jul 16, 2023, 3:05:26 PM7/16/23
to MPF Users

cobra18t

Jul 16, 2023, 8:48:50 PM7/16/23
to MPF Users
They changed the links to the docs recently. This one is fresh:

Todd Legere

Jul 16, 2023, 9:01:07 PM7/16/23
to mpf-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you

Todd Legere

Aug 8, 2023, 7:26:06 PM8/8/23
to MPF Users
Just ran an mpf hardware scan to see if my config detects the neosegment displays

Under light_segment_displays:
Not implemented

I have the latest boards for cobra pin and the neosegment display board.

Could someone share a simple hello world example of a config.yaml so I can see what I'm doing wrong to get my displays working ?

cobra18t

Aug 8, 2023, 7:48:32 PM8/8/23
to MPF Users
Did the example I mentioned not work for you?

What version of MPF are you using? Is MPF erroring out? Are the displays doing something strange or just not working?

Todd Legere

Aug 8, 2023, 8:18:57 PM8/8/23
to MPF Users
Cobra, fat fingers and maybe too little rum and coke in my alcohol system.  :)

Got it working perfectly.

Thanks for such a quick response.

cobra18t

Aug 8, 2023, 8:30:48 PM8/8/23
to MPF Users
Ha! Glad you got it working.

mpf hardware scan won't report light_segment_displays for opp because there is no way to confirm you have them other than visually. light_segment_displays is not so much a platform, but a wrapper around the existing LED capability of your controller platform (OPP in this case). I confirmed on my machine that I get the "not implemented" response even though everything is tickety boo--I learned that phrase from an Irish friend.

Todd Legere

Aug 19, 2023, 2:49:45 PM8/19/23
to MPF Users
I'm trying to display the current players score but all I'm getting is text "player_score"

What should I use for the variable score

segment_display_player:
  mode_base_started:
    neoSegPlayer1:
      text: player_score

Todd Legere

Aug 19, 2023, 3:35:58 PM8/19/23
to MPF Users
Opps found it

segment_display_player:
  mode_base_started:
    neoSegPlayer1:
      text: "{current_player.score:d}"

cobra18t

Aug 19, 2023, 8:20:04 PM8/19/23
to MPF Users
You got it.

It is by no means perfect and the segment displays were added as an afterthought to this game, but Tag Team may be a useful reference:
https://github.com/cobra18t/CobraPin/blob/main/MPF%20Config/ExampleGames/TagTeam_example.zip