vhosts wildcard in winXX to test MP/MSite

Dhrup

Nov 4, 2012, 1:08:09 PM11/4/12
to mp-multi...@googlegroups.com
i'd posted months ago about how stubborn winXX did not
allow any easy 'dns server' style mechanism
to make Macus's Mp/MS testing work on Win.XAMPP
BUT
I believe I have *accidentally (literally) stumbled
on a technique to make wildcard vhosts work ok.
it just looks like such a 'hack' that i am not
quite 100% convinced of it's feasibility;
(but.. it seems sooo too easy..!;))
but so far.. with all my testing/s -- seems to work alright.

basically :=
this does not involve even the <VirtualHost *:80> directive !
but coding
    127.0.0.1 agile.dev
    in the winXX hosts file
and then 'patching some' little extra code in the
    C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\index.php
to handle the 'wildcard' or subdomain
to goto a particular DocumentRoot !;-)

i will post more here after more thorough testing;
but meanwhile, if anyone has their interest caught,
just ask ans i might/ will explain more..
maybe someone else will investigate further
and enhance this *legitimate 'hack'.

:regards>