Error when trying to install an Add-on

Nicolas Darriulat

Oct 5, 2016, 7:30:56 AM10/5/16
to MozLab
I am trying to install a extension in Firefox 45 (same happens with 49), but Firefox does not allow me to do that, indicating that the Add-on is corrupt. But before I continue explaining the issue, let me tell you a bit about the extension itself.

In our team, we developed this extension, which is based on MozRepl, but with some improvements:
  • It behaves as jssh, as it accepts jssh commands.
  • The performance has been improved drastically, as no action is saved into the disk, and are all done in memory.

Previously, I tried to install it but I couldn't as it was not signed (extensions in Firefox versions from 43 on wards require sign in). I followed every step in order to sign it, according to this post: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Signing_a_XPI. I am almost certain I could sign it correctly, but now the error Firefox displays is different: "This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt."

It seems that I am not creating the .xpi file correctly, but I am not sure which is the correct structure it should have. I tried different folder structures, but with no success.

Also, I checked the Browser Console to see what error is logged in, but I didn't found it really helpful. Here it is:

Has anyone stumbled across an error like this when trying to install an add-on? Any ideas of what maybe happening?

Thanks in advance!