Impact Stories: who are we reaching with our work?

4 views
Skip to first unread message

Matthew Thompson

unread,
Sep 9, 2015, 2:05:54 PM9/9/15
to all-...@mozilla.com, webmaker
As generated by you in yesterday’s Mozilla Learning call — in about 10
minutes.
http://mzl.la/impact_stories

—Matt


Impact Stories: who are we reaching with our work?

*Sue Smith
<https://blog.webmaker.org/hacking-mozillas-stories-for-local-impact>,
community member* — used her knowledge as a community member and contractor
to start a new project, remix our stuff and apply for a grant.

*Diwanshi* — ran a train the trainer event for women
<https://diwanshi.wordpress.com/2015/09/06/day-2-at-community-education-for-mozilla-women-in-technology/>
in her community to talk about teaching and education. Made this kit of
digital footprints
<https://diwanshi.makes.org/thimble/MjAzODM2NjcyMA==/information-footprint>
to share with her attendees.

*Best Britta Badour <https://missbrittab.wordpress.com/about/>* — teaches
young people using spoken word, and is starting to bring our work into her
after school programming
Best Britta Badour

*Mozilla Japan* — our work with them recently won a big award at a teaching
event
<http://en.mozillafactory.org/post/128019803089/co-mozilla-lab-won-the-highest-award-at-6th>

*Margaret Low —* a UK educator and MozFest volunteer, joined a team to
co-host the Scratch Conference. Now exploring EU-funding and volunteer
organizing to grow web literacy work regionally.

*Bastian Gruber, community member * — tweeted
<https://twitter.com/bastiangruber/status/640498319740010497> about using
the new Thimble postcard activity to teach HTML and CSS at a web
development workshop for artists in Berlin

*Yonggang Zhang, Mozilla Rep* — asked for suggestions about upcoming Web
Literacy lessons, got help from his mentor Irvin Chen and access to
these teaching
activities <https://teach.mozilla.org/activities>.

*Madeleine Bonsma — *Mozilla Science Study Group lead at the University of
Toronto, planned out a semester of open science lessons with 10 others.

“What a time to be alive!” –Madeleine Bonsma, open science enthusiast

*Marina Malone* — a high-school student inspired to contribute to the “Ride
With Me” open-source app project in Chicago

“The web is a hub for collaboration, and it can be used to find people who
genuinely want other people to succeed.” —*Marina Malone*

*Melissa Mark Viverito, NYC Council Speaker —* framed digital access as
digital literacy across the five boroughs for constituents and residents.

*CoderDojo attendees* — “a parent told me about how she was using our tools
with her kids at home after our first meeting in May.”

*James* — emailed he...@webmaker.org seeking educational tools for his
students, and discovered the new Thimble <https://thimble.webmaker.org/>.

“We learn by teaching. There is no better professional development.” —
jgregmcverry <http://jgregorymcverry.wordpress.com>

*The Coding Space* — were able to immediately connect to at least four
other people in NYC and collaborate/work with them in the immediate future.

*Erika’s sister* — in thinking about a proposal for MozFest, was able to
apply the practice of working open to her science work.

*Matt’s brother *— as a volunteer blogger / contributor, he’s gaining
skills and experience that can help him get a job.

Christopher Lawrence

unread,
Sep 10, 2015, 1:44:52 PM9/10/15
to Matt Thompson, all-...@mozilla.com, Mozilla Webmaker list
Love this, thanks Matt


Chris



> On Sep 9, 2015, at 2:05 PM, Matthew Thompson <ma...@mozillafoundation.org> wrote:
>
> As generated by you in yesterday’s Mozilla Learning call — in about 10 minutes.
> http://mzl.la/impact_stories <http://mzl.la/impact_stories>
>
> —Matt
>
>
> Impact Stories: who are we reaching with our work?
>
> Sue Smith <https://blog.webmaker.org/hacking-mozillas-stories-for-local-impact>, community member — used her knowledge as a community member and contractor to start a new project, remix our stuff and apply for a grant.
>
> Diwanshi — ran a train the trainer event for women <https://diwanshi.wordpress.com/2015/09/06/day-2-at-community-education-for-mozilla-women-in-technology/> in her community to talk about teaching and education. Made this kit of digital footprints <https://diwanshi.makes.org/thimble/MjAzODM2NjcyMA==/information-footprint> to share with her attendees.
>
> Best Britta Badour <https://missbrittab.wordpress.com/about/> — teaches young people using spoken word, and is starting to bring our work into her after school programming
>
> Best Britta Badour
> Mozilla Japan — our work with them recently won a big award at a teaching event <http://en.mozillafactory.org/post/128019803089/co-mozilla-lab-won-the-highest-award-at-6th>
> Margaret Low — a UK educator and MozFest volunteer, joined a team to co-host the Scratch Conference. Now exploring EU-funding and volunteer organizing to grow web literacy work regionally.
>
> Bastian Gruber, community member — tweeted <https://twitter.com/bastiangruber/status/640498319740010497> about using the new Thimble postcard activity to teach HTML and CSS at a web development workshop for artists in Berlin
>
>
>
> Yonggang Zhang, Mozilla Rep — asked for suggestions about upcoming Web Literacy lessons, got help from his mentor Irvin Chen and access to these teaching activities <https://teach.mozilla.org/activities>.
>
> Madeleine Bonsma — Mozilla Science Study Group lead at the University of Toronto, planned out a semester of open science lessons with 10 others.
>
> “What a time to be alive!” –Madeleine Bonsma, open science enthusiast
>
>
>
> Marina Malone — a high-school student inspired to contribute to the “Ride With Me” open-source app project in Chicago
>
> “The web is a hub for collaboration, and it can be used to find people who genuinely want other people to succeed.” —Marina Malone
>
> Melissa Mark Viverito, NYC Council Speaker — framed digital access as digital literacy across the five boroughs for constituents and residents.
>
> CoderDojo attendees — “a parent told me about how she was using our tools with her kids at home after our first meeting in May.”
>
> James — emailed he...@webmaker.org <mailto:he...@webmaker.org> seeking educational tools for his students, and discovered the new Thimble <https://thimble.webmaker.org/>.
>
> “We learn by teaching. There is no better professional development.” —jgregmcverry <http://jgregorymcverry.wordpress.com/>
> The Coding Space — were able to immediately connect to at least four other people in NYC and collaborate/work with them in the immediate future.
>
>
>
> Erika’s sister — in thinking about a proposal for MozFest, was able to apply the practice of working open to her science work.
>
> Matt’s brother — as a volunteer blogger / contributor, he’s gaining skills and experience that can help him get a job.
>
>

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages