Wingdings emoticons

Henk de Jong

Mar 17, 2021, 9:18:39 AM3/17/21
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
When people send me an email from a Microsoft email client (for example
Microsoft Outlook 16.0) and it includes an emoticon, Thunderbird shows
it as the capital J or L.

In the message source I see

The emoticons are plain text :) and :(

A web search reveals that the sender has used a Wingdings font character
to display the emoticon. The capital J and L in a standard font share
the same locations as the smiley and sad face.
The same internet search also revealed that this problem was mentioned
as early as thirteen years ago...

I have not found a solution to this problem, but maybe my search was not
thorough enough.
Has someone here a solution on the receiving end in Thunderbird?

--
With kind regards,
Henk de Jong

7 Sisters Restaurant
https://www.7sistersrestaurant.com

Henk de Jong

Mar 17, 2021, 9:29:14 AM3/17/21
On 17-3-2021 14:18, Henk de Jong wrote:

> The emoticons are plain text :) and :(

Thunderbird is showing two graphics when you have chosen to "Display
emoticons as graphics" in Options -> General -> Plain Text Messages.

I meant : ) and : (
(but without the space)

Steve

Mar 17, 2021, 12:33:26 PM3/17/21
On 2021-03-17 8:18 a.m., Henk de Jong wrote:
> When people send me an email from a Microsoft email client (for example Microsoft Outlook 16.0) and it includes an emoticon, Thunderbird shows it as the capital J or L.
>
> In the message source I see
>
> The emoticons are plain text :) and :(
>

> A web search reveals that the sender has used a Wingdings font character to display the emoticon. The capital J and L in a standard font share the same locations as the smiley and sad face.
> The same internet search also revealed that this problem was mentioned as early as thirteen years ago...
>
> I have not found a solution to this problem, but maybe my search was not thorough enough.
> Has someone here a solution on the receiving end in Thunderbird?

Try Smileyfixer: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/smileyfixer/

Henk de Jong

Mar 18, 2021, 12:22:47 PM3/18/21
On 17-3-2021 17:33, Steve wrote:
> On 2021-03-17 8:18 a.m., Henk de Jong wrote:
>> When people send me an email from a Microsoft email client (for
>> example Microsoft Outlook 16.0) and it includes an emoticon,
>> Thunderbird shows it as the capital J or L.

<cut>

>> I have not found a solution to this problem, but maybe my search was
>> not thorough enough.
>> Has someone here a solution on the receiving end in Thunderbird?
>>
> Try Smileyfixer:
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/smileyfixer/

Works!
Thanks for the tip :-)